Herters model 72 dimensions

mike kuhns

Hello,
Could somebody please post what the body dimensions for a Herters model 72 diver body are?
I'm looking at buying a dozen bluebills from a gentleman who has some decoys for sale, but we're trying to figure out what they are (no pics) and I'd like to verify what he has before we both try to take time to meet up.
Thanks!

Good morning, Mike~

I just measured up a Model 72 Hen Broadbill. Like me, she was "born" in the 1950s - so she's old and a bit worn. These dimensions may be a bit shy of a new one:

LOA 14-1/4"
Beam 7-1/2"
Height (back) 4-0"
Height (chest "shelf") 3-1/4"

Hope this helps!

SJS

Yeah, after thinking it over, if they are 63's, I could still make use of them. On occasion, we see flocks of buffleheads here in Oklahoma. And it's not like they're making them anymore.

I use model 63's as bufflehead. If you're really serious about shooting bufflehead, just solely put out 4 or 5 of these. Be sure to put them close to shore and have an improved cylinder choke...you'll get some great action. I've done this with my nephew; he loves bufflehead hunting!

Mike~

Just in case you did not see this info in my Wigeon post:

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Herter's Model 63 Mallard/Black Mallard Body

LOA 12-3/4"
Beam 5-7/8"
Depth @ back 3-1/2"
Depth @ chest (for head) 2-3/4"

I do not have any Model 63 Divers.

SJS
[/font]

Right. I forgot that you posted the model 63 dimensions. Your widgeon conversion has got me thinking... lots of opportunities to keep busy in the off season!
As it turns out, the decoys I'm looking at are in fact 72's. Now I have to decide if I want to hunt them "as is" or trestle coat them. They are 20 years old and have only been stored.
Thanks everybody!

Back