How cold is it getting up north?

Al Hansen

Hi Fellas,
The reason I am asking this is that in the past week we have had sandhill cranes coming down here. I have a friend who is a birder and he told me that this is the earliest he has ever seen them down here in the 20 years he has kept track of them.
Are you seeing anything unusual?
Al

Al,

37 degrees at 7:25am here in Northwest Illinois on the Mississippi River in the 61244 zipcode. About average for this time of year.

Temperatures are average. But crops and harvest are way ahead of schedule in some instances. I think Geese and Mallards to a certain extent, migrate along with availability of harvested food sources opening up. Might be a similar early availability thing with the Cranes?

Hi Al,

It has been cooler than normal this month here (which in my opinion has made for an excellent start to the season - my best ever). I say "normal" but I really don't know what that is anymore. I will say that it has been significantly cooler on all my hunts than the past three seasons here for September. Everything seems to be a bit early - I've had redheads working the spread a full two-three weeks before I normally see them and noticed some very big northern geese showing up in numbers, also not normal in my spots until October. Then again, the pintails were late. Even the bunnies seem to have been changing colour a bit early if you ask me. If things aren't "early" this season, they are at least different. The birders have reported some very unusual sightings this year, and we've had a lot of "western" birds showing up around here - white fronts included (though not over my decoys...).

I have encountered snow in the air twice while hunting so far, and at least that many times while working in the field this month (not unusual). I did have to break some ice of the decoys last weekend picking up, for what it's worth...cold mornings but we've still been getting warmer afternoons. It does seem to be an unusual season here, but I've seen lots of cool things and so I'm not complaining!

Green Bay
40s at night, 60's in day...

Corn is being taken, and I don't mean chopped corn. It is crazy, I have never seen this much corn coming down in Sept. if it was not chopped. Most farmers are saying corn is about 1 month or more early. Heck, winter wheat was off about 1 month ahead too....

I have no clue on this year, it is going to be intersting.

Al it is a Balm 82 degrees today and tomorrow the duck opener is going to be the same.

I cant wait for it to freeze and stay froze.

Al
My son and I hunted Northern Wi this week and had blue bird weather. The ducks were around but not moving. An unusal thing happened---a small flock of blue bills dove at us out of range, they circled and came at us again, still out of range but in frustration I flock shot at them :). Unusal this early to see them. The temp has ranged from 39 at nite to 60's during the day and sunny. The woods are in full color and it never ceases to delight. Lots of water areas that normally are clear are choked with a floating mixture of growth. Good sighting of deer but no bow shots.
What's the level of the Rio Grande today?
Jim Sr wis boz

Last edited:
Al,

37 degrees at 7:25am here in Northwest Illinois on the Mississippi River in the 61244 zipcode. About average for this time of year.

Glad to hear that things are at least average, Ed. By the way, how low is the Mississippi River right now where you live? I have seen clips on it when they talked about the barges not being able to navigate because of low water levels. Is this affecting your duck hunting area at all?
Al

Temperatures are average. But crops and harvest are way ahead of schedule in some instances. I think Geese and Mallards to a certain extent, migrate along with availability of harvested food sources opening up. Might be a similar early availability thing with the Cranes?

Thanks for that input, Geoff. I called my high school hunting buddy up yesterday and he told me that in Big Stone county, Minnesota they normally harvest soybeans before corn. This year it is just the opposite. Bob also told me that the farmers are talking about the corn crop being better than they expected.
Al

Hi Al,

It has been cooler than normal this month here (which in my opinion has made for an excellent start to the season - my best ever). I say "normal" but I really don't know what that is anymore. I will say that it has been significantly cooler on all my hunts than the past three seasons here for September. Everything seems to be a bit early - I've had redheads working the spread a full two-three weeks before I normally see them and noticed some very big northern geese showing up in numbers, also not normal in my spots until October. Then again, the pintails were late. Even the bunnies seem to have been changing colour a bit early if you ask me. If things aren't "early" this season, they are at least different. The birders have reported some very unusual sightings this year, and we've had a lot of "western" birds showing up around here - white fronts included (though not over my decoys...).

I have encountered snow in the air twice while hunting so far, and at least that many times while working in the field this month (not unusual). I did have to break some ice of the decoys last weekend picking up, for what it's worth...cold mornings but we've still been getting warmer afternoons. It does seem to be an unusual season here, but I've seen lots of cool things and so I'm not complaining!

Hey Nick, I hope you are taking advantage of all that great duck hunting that is available. Sounds to me like this is a season for you to remember.
I zeroed in on you comment, " I say "normal" but I really don't know what that is anymore." You are so right.
I'll look forward to the time that hopefully it will get very cold up there so that it will push down those ducks and make them want to head south.
Al

Green Bay
40s at night, 60's in day...

Corn is being taken, and I don't mean chopped corn. It is crazy, I have never seen this much corn coming down in Sept. if it was not chopped. Most farmers are saying corn is about 1 month or more early. Heck, winter wheat was off about 1 month ahead too....

I have no clue on this year, it is going to be intersting.

Eric, there is no doubt that with the earlier harvests going on, what will be the availability of foods for waterfowl when they come down? Hope you have a good season this year.
Al

Al it is a Balm 82 degrees today and tomorrow the duck opener is going to be the same.

I cant wait for it to freeze and stay froze.

Hey Doug,
You can keep that weather up there. We have plenty of it down here. Take lots of pictures, sir. Best of luck to you. Which pups are you going to take with?
Al

43 at 4:15 this morning.
73 right now

Great duck hutning weather

Mark W

I like those lows you have been having, Mark. They are perfect for hunting. By the way, how long have you been going out to western Minnesota to hunt ducks?
Al

Al
My son and I hunted Northern Wi this week and had blue bird weather. The ducks were around but not moving. An unusal thing happened---a small flock of blue bills dove at us out of range, they circled and came at us again, still out of range but in frustration I flock shot at them :). Unusal this early to see them. The temp has ranged from 39 at nite to 60's during the day and sunny. The woods are in full color and it never ceases to delight. Lots of areas that normally are clear are choked with a floating mixture of growth. Good sighting of deer but no bow shots.
What's the level of the Rio Grandee today?
Jim Sr wis boz

Well, Jim, it was good to hear that you and your son got out for another duck hunt. Good for you. I'll bet you had visions of 3 or 4 bluebills falling when you fired that shot. That is something I would do, too.
Thanks for that vivid description of the color to be seen up north. I do miss that, a lot.
On Monday, It will mark the beginning of the 5 month that the Rio Grande has been dry. This is a first for us down here. For the old timers it is not, however, it is scary enough for some sobering thoughts for the farming community. Already they are thinking of next year and "what if"!
I talked with the folks at Bosque del Apache NWR and they don't have enough water to begin filling the ponds for the migrators that are now beginning to trickle down here, like the cranes that I was referring to. If they use their wells, it will cost them $10,000.00 a month in electricity just to fill them. It is really bad when you notice farmers having to use low flow ditches for their irrigation water.
Al

I took this shot of the Rio Grande, two weeks ago after a recent rain. Right now down here it is very dry and no running water at all. This means that the first 7 days of our duck season in October, I'll have to hunt the low flow ditches if I hunt at all. By November 1st, all irrigation has stopped and there will be some water flowing in the Rio.

_MG_0037_zps95f86211.jpg

Frost last nite on the roofs around here Al and a big dew on the grass...
Sherm....

It's that time of the year, once again, Shermie. Good luck with your hunting this fall. Remember to take pictures!
Al

Al

There have been many areas with barge stoppage and barge loads cut in half to be able to maneuver but I haven't seen that in my immediate area. River level in my area is down two or three feet I suspect. Many areas are dry so many hunters will be pushed to the river. It will be an interesting season to say the least. I'll be heading out to start scouting this week. I'm more afraid I won't be able to get back to my deer hunting area which is only accessable by boat.

Not sure about the weather up north, but I am seeing big ducks and more geese behind my house.

Last few months there have been some resident geese living behind my house on an empty lot, and today they pulled in a big flock (about 50, I guess thats not toooo big) of canadas and I saw ducks dropping in as well! I hope they all don't leave by the time I get up to Canada. :p

Snow forecasted for the next few nights in 55731 MN/CAN Border.. Opener was 40F and overcast with winds. Cleared up and now again with cloud cover and freezing at night.

Back