Hunting in the age of social media

William Mills

I know what you’re probably thinking “great another post crying about the damage social media is doing to hunting”. I’d think the same thing but we’d have all been incorrect. After being a member of this site we should all know that there is the possibility of the internet having a positive affect on our beloved sport.

In December of 2022 I got a random DM on instagram from a fellow I’d never met but somehow the two of us followed each other. Turns out we were both duck hunters, him from a New England state and me from New Jersey. Our connection was a fire department we both previously worked for but at different times. He’d been looking to check some species off his list that he didn’t often encounter and had spoke to our mutual friends and asked if they thought I’d be willing to help. They said yes and they were correct. In January of 2023 we met at a boat ramp in the dark and off we went. Over two days I was able to help him with 2 of the 3 species he wanted. The third was a canvasback which we saw but weren’t able to connect. During the hunt we discussed how I wanted to chase cinnamon teal. He said he knew a guy that knew how to kill them and that that same fellow wished to kill a black duck. He gave his contact my name and he too reached out to me through instagram.

We made a plan and in December of 2023 he flew in and we set out to kill a black duck. Luckily they cooperated and I was able to send him home with some beautiful black ducks. Then this past weekend I touched down in his south western home state and the chase was on. While he did help me connect on my first cinnamon (several actually) the most enjoyable part was chasing ducks in the desert. The hunting was so much different than anything I’ve ever experienced. Something I would have struggled to do on my own despite freelancing several states before. Friendships forever and unique experiences I wouldn’t have had the opportunity to have had it not been for instagram

2FF25CFF-C1D0-4066-9117-6237E6942B6A.jpeg
56EB2668-22C6-49EE-A0EB-19908A52F851.jpegD2EE1120-7193-4CD6-9EC5-CFB37E1E391B.jpegC4515BA1-D02D-4DE7-A74A-622CD63D5FF9.jpeg

William

What a refreshing post. I bet there are plenty more stories like yours that never get mentioned or drowned out by stories of conflict. Nice work on your part.

Exactly!! Thank you for sharing this! What a great story and a cool mixed bag of birds.
How many of us on here have met up, had dinner, exchanged phone calls, passed along knowledge and hunted together because the internet brought us together?
Back years ago, there was a guy name Rod on here, from out near Katie TX. A buddy of mine from college who I lost contact with was out in that same area of TX and stumbled into the DHBP. I drove out there twice and had two great hunts in an area I would probably would have never gotten to hunt. All because of the internet.
Sometime we focus to much on the negative when we should be celebrating the positive.

I know what you’re probably thinking “great another post crying about the damage social media is doing to hunting”. I’d think the same thing but we’d have all been incorrect. After being a member of this site we should all know that there is the possibility of the internet having a positive affect on our beloved sport.

In December of 2022 I got a random DM on instagram from a fellow I’d never met but somehow the two of us followed each other. Turns out we were both duck hunters, him from a New England state and me from New Jersey. Our connection was a fire department we both previously worked for but at different times. He’d been looking to check some species off his list that he didn’t often encounter and had spoke to our mutual friends and asked if they thought I’d be willing to help. They said yes and they were correct. In January of 2023 we met at a boat ramp in the dark and off we went. Over two days I was able to help him with 2 of the 3 species he wanted. The third was a canvasback which we saw but weren’t able to connect. During the hunt we discussed how I wanted to chase cinnamon teal. He said he knew a guy that knew how to kill them and that that same fellow wished to kill a black duck. He gave his contact my name and he too reached out to me through instagram.

We made a plan and in December of 2023 he flew in and we set out to kill a black duck. Luckily they cooperated and I was able to send him home with some beautiful black ducks. Then this past weekend I touched down in his south western home state and the chase was on. While he did help me connect on my first cinnamon (several actually) the most enjoyable part was chasing ducks in the desert. The hunting was so much different than anything I’ve ever experienced. Something I would have struggled to do on my own despite freelancing several states before. Friendships forever and unique experiences I wouldn’t have had the opportunity to have had it not been for instagram

View attachment 54033
View attachment 54034View attachment 54035View attachment 54036
Very good! thanks for sharing.

Great stuff and congrats on the barter hunts. If it weren't for the internet and a hunt forum, I never would have met a now friend and breeder of Pearl. Good things can and do still happen.

This site and the old MLB website put me in contact with people who I have shared hunts and get-togethers with, and who have remained good friends for years! Like a lot of things, how we make use of them makes all the difference, and the overall spirit here has always been one of encouragement and good will.

That's a great post! I agree that more people whine about social media than actually appreciate how social media has benefitted their hunting lives. I've made great friends, hunted two other countries, hunted across this country, and gotten into hobbies that I never would have considered (like carving)...all because of this website.

That's the way to do it. I get a ton of DMs on instagram from folks all over the country looking to come to NJ to hunt black ducks and while obviously not giving everything away I always try to be friendly and helpful. There's still a lot of good to come out of the internet at times.

That's the way to do it. I get a ton of DMs on instagram from folks all over the country looking to come to NJ to hunt black ducks and while obviously not giving everything away I always try to be friendly and helpful. There's still a lot of good to come out of the internet at times.
I think the internet has definitely opened up the “secret” that NJ has possibly the best hunting on the east coast. Plenty of ducks and unparalleled freelance opportunities. Most people are trying to protect their state from “out of staters” but my personal feeling is the more out of staters that come here the better. Especially if they’re just looking for black ducks, brant and sea ducks. I’ll gladly point anyone in those directions. Just don’t ask me where to kill “color birds” 😂

For me, the internet allowed me to hook up with my best hunting buddy that I had while I was in the PNW. Both of us have moved away but we had some great adventures over the time we were in the same neck of the woods. I should try to track him down, he ran off to Wyoming to be with family and work with his son. Fucker still owes me $5.

The internet using waterfowl related forums has definitely helped me with such things as finding a small outfitter in Canada to take me and my dad on hunts and now the outfitter and I text multiple times daily and have become great friends over the last several years. It has also allowed me to learn about those secret hide a ways from other members thru private messages and take my family on vacations out west to locations away from the popular spots, yet still enjoy the mountains, hiking, and fishing. There are lots of good hearted people out there, just need to be cautious. I always try to return the favors to any that ask.

I think the internet has definitely opened up the “secret” that NJ has possibly the best hunting on the east coast. Plenty of ducks and unparalleled freelance opportunities. Most people are trying to protect their state from “out of staters” but my personal feeling is the more out of staters that come here the better. Especially if they’re just looking for black ducks, brant and sea ducks. I’ll gladly point anyone in those directions. Just don’t ask me where to kill “color birds” 😂
I tend to get a bit unresponsive when people want advice on killing pintails ;)

That's the brighter side of things. Which I think is, in fact, is great. I've met a lot of great people on social media that have taught me a lot. Craig F and other local individuals have really helped me not completely fumble around, blind, in trying to figure out the local duck hunting situation. I've seen different techniques, boats, decoys, recipes, and even how to setup just based on pics. Recipes, gun selection, decoys, etc.

The other side is what it can do to the local scene. We get a lot of spot burning going on here in NJ. There is a tremendous amount of public land access that as long as you're adhering to the safety zone and it's tidal, it's accessible. We often get the argument "it's a WMA, it's public knowledge." However, when people start soliciting free scouting reports, reports, and info on particular spots, it tends to get ugly really quick. One spot here the park police are doing everything they can to shut the access boat ramp down because of the early-morning antics (guys blasting mud motors in the lot, yelling, carrying on, shooting birds close to the ramp, etc.)

Double-edged sword for sure.

They're here. I'll give you one clue:

Find the mud. You'll find the pintails.
The only spots I have ever killed pintails in Mobile were about 3" deep with wigeon grass (Ruppia) or shoal grass (Halodule sp.). So yeah, this advice tracks.

The only spots I have ever killed pintails in Mobile were about 3" deep with wigeon grass (Ruppia) or shoal grass (Halodule sp.). So yeah, this advice tracks.

Yes sir. Typically, I've learned if you want a good chance: Pack a sandwich and plan to sit through the low.

I may have been being slightly sarcastic 😁

Gotcha! Took me 9 years to find them and if I hadn't seen the pics I'd have never known they were here either!

This is a great story and shows how good will can expand on it's own. And Todd, I would track his ass down for $1! Especially in Wyoming. Think how much fun you could have just looking for him.

Back