Hunting Jacket recommendations

David Stern

Hello:
I have an older Columbia Bloboflage hunting jacket. It might be time for a new jacket for late season. Is there anything out there that you really love. I could always buy the newest Columbia as I like the brand. I have seen Sitka and it looks pretty good. If you have a great jacket that you love, please let me know.
Stern

I have the Sitka Hudson parka and absolutely love it. It does bulk up a bit in the shoulder when sitting up to shoot but standing there is no problem. It is warm water proof and fits well.
Eddie

Does Columbia still make waterfowl jackets? I have always used their stuff and loved it. I know I read they were not going to produce it any longer. I thought about support for my jacket from them.

If you are going to check out Sitka take a look at first lite's product line. I've switched to more of a layering system using merino wool (most of which I got for cheap off of sierra trading post, rei when they have big sales) and then have a few pieces of first lite's outerwear in camo or their dry earth color. A lot of this stuff you can find used on archery talk or ebay as folks will sometimes switch camo type and sell off their whole setup. I find with the layering you are wearing way less bulk and it makes hunting a lot more comfortable. Plus this stuff is way better at wicking away moisture so you dont end up freezing after you broke a sweat paddling out to your spot, climbing a tree, etc.

Does Columbia still make waterfowl jackets? I have always used their stuff and loved it. I know I read they were not going to produce it any longer. I thought about support for my jacket from them.

I had a Columbia duck parka 4 in 1, ceramic material. It was incredible. It fell out of my decoy sled at a wildlife area one day, and that was the end of it.

I have lost a lot of equipment in my day, but I miss that the most.

I replaced it with a herters coat. It is fine, but truly pales in comparison to the Columbia coat.

Last edited:
Thanks Ed.
I am sure there are a lot of opinions out there. Does anyone like their Drake Jacket?

NO! Drake is warm and cozy, but in no way waterproof or even resistant...

For me it's a Filson 635, wax it every year.

I am with Hank. When it comes to looks I certainly do not look at buying a jacket that way. My main concern is function!! Will it take a beating when I brush against some thing sharp. How well does it bead water if dunked. In a torrential downpour will it bead water or absorb water as it wears. The same for bibs. Have worn about every brand in 30+ years for hunting except Sitka. Have hunted with nothing but Filson shelter cloth waterfowl jacket aka coton waxed, the last 15 seasons and filson double tin bibs. I usually wear any where from breathable, 3mm neoprene, 5mm neoprene waders or hip boots underneath every hunt depending on condition. If you want to keep sharp objects from puncturing your waders get the bibs one size oversize to handle waders at you correct inseam length I brush clean with a water hose after hunts if muddy enough. The end of season my wife hates when I use the shower at the end of each season for both jackets and pants to brush clean then allow to hang dry. I do pack these folded in a large Tupperware tote at the end of hunting season. Otherwise they are in the back of my truck under the topper all of hunting season. I do rewax ever season during the middle of summer my bibs and let them hang several days to absorb the wax. I rewax about every 2nd to 3rd season my jacket. Once you wax it will literally bead water even when dunked. I did rewax my bibs due to muddy conditions and heavy rain this season for first time. Something important to consider if you go this route is your layers. Over 10 seasons I accumulated nothing but wool thermal base layers (not all filson brand) from light to heavy, wool sweaters (both windshear and cabelas standard shooters) and a filson wool vest. I have moved to Texas and only now wear this gear mid to late season in rice stubble and bay salt marshes. But in using the cotton waxed fabrics i have hunted most of my time through Manitoba wheat and corn stubble, Michigan bogs in the central part of state, north west Indiana corn fields and rocky rivers, West Ky/TN river bottoms, and central Arkansas flooded green timber. I can say I have never torn my bibs and jacket. I am very hard on my gear. Maybe a button popped off which can easily sewn back on. BAR None there is no other fabric on the market except kevlar that will stand up to harsh abuse and conditions such as a cotton waxed fabric. Only downside I see is the "Virgin years" of wearing one when everbody around you is wondering who in the heck brought a tent. It is an acquired taste to get used to if you have never used cotton wax fabric. Once you do you will not ever look for another waterfowling jacket or bibs. Your grandkids may use it.

Regards,
Kristan

My wife is an excellent seamstrees. She has been involved in start-up a couple of boutique clothing ventures, as well as helping a friend get his XC Specialty Clothing business off the ground and running. I usually take her along to inspect a hunting garment I am thinking about buying that I expect to use long-term. I was told that Beretta abandoned the US waterfowl clothing market, so these are getting hard to find, but pricing has improved significantly. Take a look at Beretta's Outlander or Xtrema lite wader length waterfowl jackets-very well made and thought-out, as well as manufactured using Gore-tex as the membrane fabric. I walked away from Columbia waterfowl clothing when they stopped using Gore-tex membrane fabric and abandoned MO Shadow Grass as their waterfowl fabric print. Add the Beretta BIS jacket in Windstopper with Primaloft or down insulation for warmth...I mean real warmth. I have a fleece liner in MAX-4 and a BIS jacket in Optifade that I picked-up on close-out. I compared this to a Sitka Gear Kelvin jacket and found it superior in workmanship and detail. Their DWS Optifade green big game parkas are superior to Sitka Gear's version as well, paticularly when you factor-in the price differential.

Thanks for that tip. I think I will wait till the season is over to see who has what on sale. I want to buy the best I can afford but there is no reason not to wait for the sales.

Columbia still makes the Widgeon, it's listed on their website.

I've used Columbia waterfowl clothing and bibs since the first Klamath coat and pants, pre Gore-Tex. Their Gore-Tex waterfowl parka was the most inferior, due to seam failure. I sent mine back many years ago, and they sent me a brand new Widgeon free of charge.

I prefer the Widgeon, as it's just the right length for sitting up to shoot as I lay in my marshboat. Both my Widgeon jackets are old enough to vote+. The Mossy Oak Original is no longer waterproof on the shoulders due to dirt and grim clogged pores in the waterproof material. The old school camo still is waterproof. Just had new zippers put on the Mossy Oak outer shell and liner.

Many of my hunting partners waterfowl jackets/parkas have come and gone. As I still use one or another of my Widgeons.

At today's retail prices-Yikes! No matter the brand, on sale is always good.

I have used Columbia jackets for over 20 years and can not remember when I was to cold to hunt.
I do layer as needed. As for waterproof if I know its going to be a rainy day I wear commercial rain gear top.
That being said I can't say it the best but it is good enough for me.

Love my Columbia Widgeon Quad. Versatile, durable, waterproof, warm. I have a Drake Eqwader 1/4 zip that I use in dry warmer conditions and I like it as well. I hunt with someone who has a Sitka jacket that is impressive.

Does anyone like their Drake Jacket?

Nope...I'm with Hank on the Drake. Mine will be replaced with layered wool or something similar for next season. If its raining/snowing and cold out you may as well go home if you have a drake on.

Drake jackets are almost as bad as their waders. ALMOST
Not waterproof.
Not water resistant.
The zippers corrode. (First time using it)
The 'springs' designed to hold the pockets open corrode and stick. (First time using it)
Oh, and all the magnets interfere with proper packemaker operation. Don't laugh, it's not comfortable to be well hidden, wet, and having your pacer turn on and off.

As soon as I wear the thing out, I'll buy a jacket from some other company. Drake has lost me as a customer...forever.

I'm hearing great things from friends that have Sitka gear.

Which Filson do you have? Shelter Waterfowl or Tin Cloth field Coat?
If that question is directed at me, I have the 635 which is the Tin Cloth Waterfowl/Upland coat. It's no longer made.

Which Filson do you have? Shelter Waterfowl or Tin Cloth field Coat?
If that question is directed at me, I have the 635 which is the Tin Cloth Waterfowl/Upland coat. It's no longer made.
They make a replacement for that.... But it does not appear to be lined.... Is yours?

Mine is not lined. When temps get below 20 I layer a Filson Guide vest (similar to the old waterfowler sweater) over a base layer and wool button up shirt.

Back