Hurricane Sandy

I hope it veers of course and stays off the Jersey and long island coast. last storm wasn't this bad and I had no power for 5 days.......don't want to do that again!

Forcasting 25-35 mph winds tomorrow with gusts to 50.

Even though just a wind event for us, they put us all on call in case of major power outages.

http://www.wxrisk.com/

Although his posting is a bit unorthodox his forecasting is typically pretty spot on. If the storm takes the southern route the Eastern Shore is going to get hammered. The tides are running above normal as it is. A northern route would put it around NJ.

It seems like it is settling in, but I'm no hurricane expert. No fishing next week!

wooo hooo ,i hope to tag out a deer on this friday the rifle opener and be ready for this storm to hunt the bays for ducks...
bucks and ducks nothin like it tho we are alowed doe`s this year and there is a big fat dry doe hanging around,just may maybe,,Makayla is with me this deer opener, so i hope it stays cold for tomorrow morning as a 6 point has been there today..

I just love storms to hunt in does anyone else like to hunt the storms??
shermie...

I guess I'll have to dig out the Hurricane lines and ride out another blow. I just hope it doesn't come at night . The full moon is only going to make it worse. When the Holloween Storm of '91 hit we had water over my knees on top of the bulkhead for a week. That really sucked. I hate sleeping on the boat

Last edited:
Yea we are getting ready for this one. Like Jack said the tides are already higher than normal. Not only do I hope it doesnt hit at night but I hope it doesnt hit at high tide. If it comes up the Chesapeake the eastern shore is in trouble. Not to mention our family on Tangier. I hope all of you east coast guys make out ok. Stay safe.

Doug,

Looks like the earlier link you posted tracked this one pretty much on the money. Interesting one to watch; stay safe all of you.

It certainly looks like Sandy is going to pay us a visit.
Last year's storm we had 3' of water in our marina showroom and more damage then I care to remember.

We have already begun implementing of our hurricane preparedness plan staging sand bags and hauling boats. I have been out the door a 4am all week picking up yachts from all over Long Island and NYC to get them here and out of the water. And just when you think it can't get any worse our larget travel lift breaks down and the part is not available till 10/31. So now I can't get any boats larger than 45' out of the water and most of out larger slips are facing out to the open bay.
Phones have not stopped ringing, customer coming in frantic to haul there boats and I still have my own boat in the water.

Hey Jack, It looks like I'll be sleeping on my boat also...I'm so shot already I may just fall asleep on my boat during this storm and wake up somewhere else

Good luck John. I hope the storm is not as bad as they are saying.

I've heard there's a possibility of up to 10" of rain in this area. Many places around here are still recovering from last year's hurricanes and flood waters at all time highs.

Wow.....Good luck John. And here I'm worried about my son and his wife (who's pregnant with my first grand baby) in Brooklyn. All you guys on the coast take care out there.

Back