I have a few Sneakbox Dodger how-to questions

Jon Yenulonis

I am about to embark on a new endeavor.

I am going to attempt my hand at making a semi-contemporary spray dodger for my 12' Sneakbox.

I know a couple of you guys did a pretty nice job on your own. I have a few pictures saved from over the years.

Anybody care to share a few "tricks-of-the-trade" with me?

The frame will be no problem. I want to make it with two rounded frames, big enough to hide my Mutt under. I have a sewing machine and actually learned a little about using it when I was a kid. I'm sure I can remember how to at least turn it on.

I am looking for a little help with layout. Where do I start? How do I lay it out, "round" it, fit it, etc.?

Thanks in advance...

Jon

Jon,

Make sure to use marine canvas thread. It will last the longest.
You can check my dodger builds and pm me if you have any questions.

I'm curious how you guys are hunting your dogs in the Sneakbox I can't figure out the best way to do it

There is no "best" way, thats why guys do it differently. My dog resides under the dodger, laying/sitting on the deck behind my head and shoulders.

I hunt out of an Estuary sneakboat and my dog sits to my left, I have her attached to the boat with a lead so she will not break, once she marks the bird I un- hook her and she retrieves, I guess I have enough room since I am not large and either is the dog,

"There is no "best" way, that's why guys do it differently. My dog resides under the dodger, laying/sitting on the deck behind my head and shoulders."

Dave and others - this question is just out of curiosity, not having hunted out of a boat with a dodger. But does the dodger amplify the sound of the shot to the dog sitting back in there? Kind of like being in the old Hollywood Bowl or a concert hall.

Trip.

I have a fairly huge Lab, 118#, and a head higher than most standard sized labs. I was unable to use a classic style spray shied with him, every time he shifted he'd take it out, plus it didn't provide any actual cover for him. So I built a Bimini style dodger which works well. Marsh fits up under the dodger, while I sit in front of him using an [font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Invisalounge seat. He's polite enough to not try and push through me. Marsh can look over me, while he remains almost invisible under the dodger.

marshathelm.jpg

Grassed:

bowrd.jpg

I used 1" dia SS bimini bows to fabricate my dodger, with the center post, it's strong enough to hold up to Marsh climbing over it.

Scott
[/font]

Jon, After messing with my own design and not liking it. I borrowed a MLB huff dodger and took it to my local seamstress. She used it at as a guide. I had her enlarge by 6", add inside pockets and couple other adjustments to fit my Broadbill. Best forty bucks (plus Canvas) I spent on whole boat.

Wes, Both my dogs learned to either lay under dodger on deck or on left side beside me. Depends if im stretched out knapping or shooting.

Scott, I just dont know what to say seeing your pup in your sneakboat. You sure he doesnt make you sit on shore:)

Gene

Jon gada derna, I made useing a form bent two peases of ash glued with west systeam in a u shape and screwed that to the deck I use dacron sail and sewed a seam in the top edge with a nylon rope inside then put a brass gromet in the middle made a pole 18" high witha small dowel to fit in the gromet then streth the dacrom to the back edge and tacked it marked it with a pencle then sewed a dubble seam and got fastners from a caanvas shop. oh I did tye the nylon rope to the folding oar locks. good luck Bill

Thanks a lot guys!

A lot of my questions have been answered.

Dave, I am thinking something similar to yours. Maybe just few slight modifications.

I'll file away all if these replies for later.

If I have any more, at least I know who to contact.

Jon

Back