I must have read too many vampire books as a kid....

Cody Williams

...Cause I love to lay in coffins!
bNq1LhD.jpg

Took a trip to one of my favorite later-season spots to hunt yesterday....it's a spot that stays open late in the year as it's part of a river delta that flows out onto the Great Salt Lake. It's quite a mission to get out there, it's about a 4 mile boat ride down a tight channel followed by a 5-600 yard walk out to where the birds are hanging out. There are usually tons of birds out there once the fresh water starts to freeze over, it's a really unique hunting situation as there is almost no tall cover out there to hide in, which makes coffin blinds the preferred means of camouflage. It's really one of my favorite ways to hunt, you can hide so well in them that the birds are usually right in your face, similar to hunting out of layouts in a field.

Here's the view of our setup from my coffin blind
tmhxKOD.jpg

Cedar has her own dog blind that we pack out there-she acts like she hates being in there but I know she secretly loves it!
hFwSxUC.jpg

We had a special visitor too-my first banded teal! This guy was banded near Artesia, New Mexico last December. I know that Al Hansen has gotten a few birds down his way that were banded on the Great Salt Lake-there must be some kind of mini migration corridor between the GSL and the Pecos and Rio Grande rivers. It's so cool to be able to see where a particular bird has been!
hrrzqzI.jpg

All in all it was a fantastic trip-we saw several thousand ducks and had several flocks come it that we were content to just watch. I feel so lucky to have been on such a great hunt!

Hank Yorke said:
Do you know the make/model of that blind?

Hank-there is a guy in Salt Lake that makes them, he only makes about 25-30 of them a year and when they sell he's done for the year. I have been thinking about making a copy of them out of Divynycell or Corecell, they are just the perfect size because they are big enough to float your gear but small enough to be packable and stackable and to hide well.

Laying in a coffin you say. Nope, based on your description and the results, doesn't look like fun, doesn't look like fun at all. On the other hand, I probably should withhold judgment until I have first hand experience to verify the fun factor.

Nice bonus you got there in the jewelry dept.

That's a great looking place and some nice pic's. Love the scenery, nothing like that in New Jersey!

Back