I Need A Vehicle Change...

PS--I can't speak for crawl control in the mud, but have been in trucks with it on steep descents or climbs on poorly maintained and washed out logging roads where it was really useful. Still not paying for it, if I can get a locking rear differential without it, but it was kinda nice to not be driving with one foot on the gas and the other on the brake to keep the truck under control while big rocks rolled out from under the tires.

I’m planning to get a 70s-80s suburban for my next truck. I can’t stand the price or gizmos on new vehicles

I went to Denver from Girard Pa. in Aug 2022 to buy a high mileage, rust free, 2007 Toyota Tundra with 213000 on it. I paid 16,500 but the truck was so clean you could eat off it. I brought it home and did a FULL maintenance on it. You name it, it's been done. Now with 237,500 on it, it rides like a new truck and is everything I wanted. It has all the bells and whistles available in 2007 and I could care less if it can't park itself or that I can nap while the truck drives. If you want reliability get a Toyota, admittedly the 2022-24 Tundras are still working out a few kinks, but they're getting it.

Update: The original sensor is fine and my truck will be ready Monday. The rental goes back tomorrow.

After thinking everything over and with support from my terrific wife I am in the market for an older Tacoma and plan to keep the 2023 Tacoma. My usage habits are better served with two trucks than one. The new Tacoma is the daily driver and used for non-hunting trips. It will remain clean and garage kept. A second Tacoma will be a work/hunting truck that isn't too nice to get covered in mud and take abuse from hunting property projects and duck season. This will divide my miles over two trucks keeping the new truck nice and letting the second one tackle dirty tasks.

For this second Tacoma my sites are set on a stock Gen 1 (1995-2004) regular cab, four cylinder, 5 speed manual. I've identified one about four hours away and hopefully will see it later this week. I'm willing to travel for such a truck as long as it is clean, hasn't been a project truck, and has low miles. The search is on.

Update: The original sensor is fine and my truck will be ready Monday. The rental goes back tomorrow.

After thinking everything over and with support from my terrific wife I am in the market for an older Tacoma and plan to keep the 2023 Tacoma. My usage habits are better served with two trucks than one. The new Tacoma is the daily driver and used for non-hunting trips. It will remain clean and garage kept. A second Tacoma will be a work/hunting truck that isn't too nice to get covered in mud and take abuse from hunting property projects and duck season. This will divide my miles over two trucks keeping the new truck nice and letting the second one tackle dirty tasks.

For this second Tacoma my sites are set on a stock Gen 1 (1995-2004) regular cab, four cylinder, 5 speed manual. I've identified one about four hours away and hopefully will see it later this week. I'm willing to travel for such a truck as long as it is clean, hasn't been a project truck, and has low miles. The search is on.

That sounds great. I'm thinking about a hunting truck myself.

Hope you find that truck Eric. I love having a hunting/fishing truck that is reliable and I don't have to worry about. Annual cost of operation and reliability are the two main things to me for that type of vehicle. Any time you can drive a vehicle for $2K or less per year excluding fuel you are doing well. I've had mine for 6 years now and have put 70K miles on it since I bought it. One of the smartest things I ever did.

How nice one great Wife 2 nice trucks.

All

Thank you for the input and suggestions and you've given me some really good advice and anecdotes. Right now I'm going to sit tight on my truck and hopefully have it back tomorrow. If not I'll roll with the punches. I don't really see how they can justify not giving it back to me when the sensor is something 99% of vehicles on the road today do not have. I'll make that argument if it comes to it. Meanwhile I think I am in the market for a second truck, a first gen Tacoma....
With my brothers shop if they want to take a vehicle that's not "road worthy" he has them sign a hold harmless type agreement. I would keep that truck as the daily driver and look for a new woods truck.

Had a deer run into the side of my truck during hunting season. It was still usable but no driver side mirror which made hauling a trailer a whole lot of fun. Deer hit right at my driver side mirror and window and hit every panel down the driver side including the tailgate that was folded down. 6 weeks in the shop and $12K later I got it back. Still missing a couple of parts that are backordered but nothing I can live without.

My rental was a 2022 Tacoma. Nice vehicle butnot the same as my 2019 Ranger IMO. Maybe it is what one is used to driving.

Glad you got your back.

Mark

Eric,
Keep us informed about your search. I will do some checking up here in the Raleigh area for the specific generation and model you want.

Personally, I have a 2002 Tacoma with the four cylinder, not four wheel drive (the six has a timing belt; the four has a timing chain!). 182,000. Periodically I get unsolicited inquiries to buy it. I also have a 2008 4Runner with 162,000. Both run perfect with normal maintenance. Happy Larry!

Glad you are getting your new one back. A few years ago the new Tacomas had a transmission issue. I assume they have corrected that.

Larry

Hear me out as I try and sort through this truck mess I've made for myself. Last Spring I sold my 2011 Tacoma and my 1985 restored Toyota SR5 pickup. Both totaled well over a half million miles and expensive repairs were around the corner. The rest of the family fleet are older cars too and one of them was costing an exorbitant amount in repairs. Fed up with repair bills I pooled the money from my trucks and went and bought a 2023 Tacoma and got rid of the breakdown prone Chevy Silverado (they are crap for reliability).

Immediately I regretted selling the 85 SR5. To provide myself a means of getting around the hunting property I bought an ATV and used the new Tacoma to trailer it. The first time I tried to use it this hunting season the roads were muddy and I ended up jackknifing the trailer into the bed of the new Tacoma due to a rut and a short tongue. Insurance is covering the $5500 repair. I've been without my truck for three weeks and it really sucked not having a vehicle to tow my ATV/boats for the last half of duck season.

I just got off the phone with the repair shop. They informed me Toyota is out of stock of the blind spot/backup sensor and they cannot legally release the truck to me without it because of the liability they will incur. Seems ridiculous because that sensor is an option and most Tacomas are running around w/o one. If the old sensor proves to be unusable, I will have to continue to drive a rental, which I'm paying for, until they can come up with a replacement. They could not tell me how long that will take but did say they searched the Toyota parts DB and there are none in the US. I'm not going to panic over this because I bet it will sort itself out before too long.

But the point of all this is to justify my hatred for the unnecessary electronic gizmos on vehicles these days and my disdain for them. Since getting the new Tacoma I find most of the electronics to be useless and used so seldom I can't remember what it has or how to operate things. Oh, and that fancy use a computer to get un-stuck button is WORTHLESS in real life. No match for Alabama red clay. I'll take a locked axle over it any time any day!!! My advice to a new truck shopper is get a stripped-down model and build it up the way you like with aftermarket parts. Lord knows there are enough aftermarket goodies to make a truck better than a factory gizmo model.

My feelings now are I want to get rid of this truck and go back to two vehicles, an everyday driver and a weekend work/hunting truck. The question is can I do it without getting soaked by selling the new Tacoma and not buying a lemon in the process.

Arrrggghhhhh!
Eric,
I sent you a conversation/PM with two trucks of your Generation for sale in NC. If you don't get that let me know.
Larry

Back