If you mess with old boats, then you need old motors!

Dave Diefenderfer

Sponsor
If you saw the Susquehanna Roll Boat thread, then you will know what this is for!

420640_10200977375422879_827327757_n.jpg

163569_10200977375302876_1767270323_n.jpg

547161_10200977376182898_423283951_n.jpg

Saw this on CL, and knew it was meant to be! It has been stored indoors, the gas tank has a oily stick film in it, no rust, looks easy to clean. It turns free, and feels like there is compression. Tomorrow I will clean it up a little, and see if I can pull the plug,and if so check the compression before I decide how/if I will proceed.

If anyone on the forum is knowledgable and can send me some resources I would appreciate it.

Oh Dave, Be careful where that little dude will take you, those old motors are addicting. And if left alone in the dark they seem to mutiply. As far as tech assistance check the Antique Outboard Motor Club, there are special interest groups that may have help for you. I have a couple of those but none of them are complete enough to make run. If you need a part or two give me a shout. The main problem as I hear with Neptunes is that they do wear out and loose compresion. This looks like a nice one though. Keep us informed and if I can help let me know.

Looks like it probably has decent scrap value.

:)
down here it would be hanging in some tourist trap seafood restaurant along with 20 of its buddies of the same age.
Good luck with it, keep us posted. Get pics of it running!

OK, tank is off, plug is out, carb removed. Fashioned a pull rope, and checked for spark, and there is spark! Then checked compression.... 60 to 70 psi. Is that enough? I know it is not for a modern motor, but no clue on a 1938 single cylinder, 2 stroke?

I haven't seen one of those for sixty some years. I had a neighbor who swore by them. I just swore at them. Just polish it up, put a sign on that says remember when.

Dave, You have gotten some good advice but try to start it anyway. That probably is enough compression for that old dog to run. Just give it a shot of WD-40 through the carb (NOT ETHER) to see if it will pop. If you have spark it should start BUT remember that motor will always be an "upstream motor" , never bet your life on it.
Todd, thats' just sour grapes -buzzkill
Pete, remember that was the only alternative to rowing.

Well, there is life in this old motor! I removed the gas tank, which is currently soaking with SeaFoam in it.... Pulled the carb, disassembled and cleaned. Removed the tiller handle which had a seized twist trottle. I managed to drive out the brass pin, and then break loose the handle. Some penetrating oil and careful presuasion with a plastic hammer. I then srayed some WD-40 in the cylinder and gave a pull, and she fired! I guess I will dig a little deeper now. I did find a stripped out screw at the trottle cable in the carb, so I need to remove it again and re-tap the hole for a slightly larger screw. Found a source for documentation and parts on-line... If she will run, I will clean her up, but not show room polish. I like the vintage look on vintage boats/motors, though I may spring for the replacement decal for the tank.

I'll post after pictures at some point.

Back