Intermittent spark loss

Paul W

1993 merc 15, which I love because of the twist throttle forward/reverse on my devlin bluebill. It ran perfect without problem for almost 8 years that I?ve owned it until...

Intermittent total spark loss, mixed with 1 (bottom) cylinder spark loss, mixed with multiple big fat beautiful blue sparks from both. It seems like if I stop pulling for a moment, let it sit for a moment, I can then get tons of spark where I was getting now or vice versa. So strange. I?ve pulled on it in the dark garage and haven?t seen any spark leaks.

It left me high and dry late last season so I put it away and only hunted the big rig....and now I?m trying to figure it out for dog training season.

Before I shotgun a cdi box at it for posterity, I was curious what you folks might have to add in. I know it?s going to be a wire, the stator, or the trigger, I flipped the foils around and it made no difference, same with spark plug wires. New plugs.

I need to get some hunting pics on here from last season. The new pup did well, can?t wait for this year.

Woof.thank you!

Paul W said:
1993 merc 15,

Intermittent total spark loss, mixed with 1 (bottom) cylinder spark loss, mixed with multiple big fat beautiful blue sparks from both. It seems like if I stop pulling for a moment, let it sit for a moment, I can then get tons of spark where I was getting now or vice versa. So strange. I?ve pulled on it in the dark garage and haven?t seen any spark leaks.

Before I shotgun a cdi box at it for posterity, I was curious what you folks might have to add in. I know it?s going to be a wire, the stator, or the trigger, I flipped the foils around and it made no difference, same with spark plug wires. New plugs.

If I were to start throwing parts at it, I would replace the trigger assembly as the likely culprit. Especially since you have already eliminated the cheaper candidates.

I have a '97 9.9, and had the same problem. It was the stator, and the only thing that I have ever had a problem with on that motor( the 9.9 and the 15 are the same motor with different carbs). I would go the route Dave suggested first, and if that doesn't work, go to the stator.

I was able to find some ohms testing for it online finally, the stator did not ohm out within spec. The trigger did. I?m going to try stator first. This is the first issue I?ve had with mine!

Thank you both! We shall see, I can?t find any good ways to test the power pack.

Paul W said:
I was able to find some ohms testing for it online finally, the stator did not ohm out within spec. The trigger did. I?m going to try stator first. This is the first issue I?ve had with mine!

Thank you both! We shall see, I can?t find any good ways to test the power pack.
Sounds like your test equipment is leading you to the correct solution.

Back