ISO: Waterfowl Sweater

Josh Coulter

In the late 90's Cabelas manufactured a merino wool waterfowl sweater (light brown color) with a zipper pouch and windshear in gently used condition.
Does anyone have one in their closet in size XL they would want to part with?
I will cover shipping and a reasonable cost.

Attachments

• sewater.png
    sewater.png
    111.3 KB · Views: 27
They always are available on ebay. I look all the time for another one since I use mine non-stop all season long but haven't found a 2x. There's always XL available in camo and solid colors. Type in wind shear sweater and you'll find one. Usually they are not cheap though.

They always are available on ebay. I look all the time for another one since I use mine non-stop all season long but haven't found a 2x. There's always XL available in camo and solid colors. Type in wind shear sweater and you'll find one. Usually they are not cheap though.
I have been looking on ebay for a while. The newer sweaters are on there but I want the zipper pouch for my calls. The newer ones are not made as well. If you see one on there pm me the link!
Thank you

Will do. I bought mine from Cabelas years ago. They were on closeout and I paid less than 60 dollars brand new. I wish I would have bought a couple of them at the time. I'll check it out Dave, thanks for the link.

That is till my go-too even over the Sitka!! Check out Ebay & I also use the old-school Remington Wool Sweaters

In the late 90's Cabelas manufactured a merino wool waterfowl sweater (light brown color) with a zipper pouch and windshear in gently used condition.
Does anyone have one in their closet in size XL they would want to part with?
I will cover shipping and a reasonable cost.
Cabelas should bring that item back. One of the better things they sold. For the time being i,ve been making due with The ones Macks sells.

Cabelas should bring that item back. One of the better things they sold. For the time being i,ve been making due with The ones Macks sells.

They did, but not that variant. They brought back the windshear guide variant:

I have that one but, unfortunately, the dry cleaner shrunk it. Very nice sweater. Doesn't have the chest pocket though.

Macks PW has this one which I recently bought:

At that $99 price it's a deal. It's very heavy, very warm, and has waxed cotton shoulders. This sweater is beyond warm and very well made. Also 100% wool.

IMG_1759.jpg

In my opinion, what all the new sweaters lack are pockets.

Don, my apologies, when I re-read the description of the sweater I posted, and said it ran small, closer to a Large, and I got a 15% off discount, I bought it for myself. If I find it too big, I'll post it here first.

They did, but not that variant. They brought back the windshear guide variant:

I have that one but, unfortunately, the dry cleaner shrunk it. Very nice sweater. Doesn't have the chest pocket though.

Macks PW has this one which I recently bought:

At that $99 price it's a deal. It's very heavy, very warm, and has waxed cotton shoulders. This sweater is beyond warm and very well made. Also 100% wool.

View attachment 54152
Yes , the Sweater & full zip Macks sells are nice. I have them and they're great quality ,especially at end of year prices. Much better than a Beretta branded I bought a few years ago and promptly returned. It was very poor quality. I don't particularly care for the current Cabela's mainly because of buttons. Sweater they use to have with that zip call pocket was top notch.

Roy/Jay,

how is the fit on the Macks? Trying to decide between L or XL

They typically run big. I am a bigger, stockier guy and I wear an XL in the Mack's and there is room to under-layer. I would be the same in the Cabelas. I am sort of in-between sizes. The L fits but it's not comfortable. The XL fits but slightly on the big side.

I'm 5'10" and about 212 lbs. With the Macks, as you can see in the pic, I have to cuff the bottom of the sleeves which isn't a huge deal.

If you are a little less stocky than me I would imagine a L should be fine. I like things to fit a little looser for comfort.

Yes , the Sweater & full zip Macks sells are nice. I have them and they're great quality ,especially at end of year prices. Much better than a Beretta branded I bought a few years ago and promptly returned. It was very poor quality. I don't particularly care for the current Cabela's mainly because of buttons. Sweater they use to have with that zip call pocket was top notch.

I wear my sweaters with the waders over so I wouldn't be able to use the pockets. However, I can definitely see why guys like the pockets.

I've had my Macks for 3 or 4 years and are slightly different than their current offering. Zipper instead of buttons at neck on pullover. I wear a 2xl in some jkts and 3xl in others. I got the pullover in 3xl and its a good loose fit but not baggy which is what I prefer. Don,t like jkts. tight especially ones i,m wing shooting in.

hey josh, i love my older Cabela's sweater you can't beat it but i did purchase a lighter sweater this Year from Cabela's northern flight brand its perfect on milder day's .

I have 2 of the Cabelas wool pullovers with Windshear... I always wear the one that is 20+ years old.. lots of thread... sewing up worn areas and holes.. I love my filson Henley/Waterfowler, but needs a windstopper layer.. but.. sadly .. none for sale...

Attachments

• 20211114_113333.jpg
    20211114_113333.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 11
I have 2 of the Cabelas wool pullovers with Windshear... I always wear the one that is 20+ years old.. lots of thread... sewing up worn areas and holes.. I love my filson Henley/Waterfowler, but needs a windstopper layer.. but.. sadly .. none for sale...

Phil,

I am a big Filson guy and was going to save my pennies for one of those. The windstopper layer was the deal breaker for me. If they added that, I'd probably have bought that over the Cabelas and Macks.

Phil,

I am a big Filson guy and was going to save my pennies for one of those. The windstopper layer was the deal breaker for me. If they added that, I'd probably have bought that over the Cabelas and Macks.
Yeah .. I have TOO MUCH Filson... according to my wife... My go to gear! My Filson sweater was picked up prior to the increase... the price and the windstopper is why I have 2 of the Cabelas! My Filson is rarely my hunting sweater...

Back