ISO: Waterfowl Sweater

My wife say's my sweater smells, but I can't tell. She wants to take it to the dry cleaners but after reading Jay's post I think I'll get some Woolight and wash it in cold water here at home. If anything happened to my sweater, I'd come unglued. It's pretty much a part of every hunt I go on....

Why would you not take it to the Drycleaner? The chance of them wrecking it are MUCH less than the chance of you wrecking it.

In the late 90's Cabelas manufactured a merino wool waterfowl sweater (light brown color) with a zipper pouch and windshear in gently used condition.
Does anyone have one in their closet in size XL they would want to part with?
I will cover shipping and a reasonable cost.
Take a look at the Wool ones from Drake. I got an email alert this morning about their wool one at 70% off. If I didn’t already have a few good layers already, that one would be in my cart 🛒 on their site

Last edited:
Because Jay K wrote that he took it to the dry cleaners and they shrunk it, and I'm not going to take any chances with my favorite sweater.

Because Jay K wrote that he took it to the dry cleaners and they shrunk it, and I'm not going to take any chances with my favorite sweater.

I had no issues, for years, bringing it to the dry cleaner. I would take it once mid-season, then at the end. Last season I took it, left it on the hanger in the plastic. When I pulled it out it fit horribly. I was livid. I took it to them and they said they would "fix it." They made it better but it's still tight. I gained 0 lbs, by the way. In fact, I had lost weight. They eventually admitted they had a new employee, who they had since fired, who was over-steaming clothes.

The best way to not ruin them is as you said: Hand wash in a utility basin with warm water and wool detergent, rinse, and lay flat to dry. You will not ruin it this way. This is probably the only safe way to wash them.

Supposedly, my Cabelas one is fixable. You have to soak in a basin with warm water and women's hair conditioner. Then you can re-shape, as needed, and lay flat to dry. You keep repeating the process slowly until its back to proper shape/fit.

I love my Mack's full-zip sweaters with windblocker. They do lack a call pocket, but I can wear one shirt and the sweater and be comfortable down to 30-35 degrees. Layer up and I am comfortable with even lower temps.

I caught them on sale like 2-3 years ago for $75 and bought two, and told several people I knew about them. One of my best investments ever.

I love my Mack's full-zip sweaters with windblocker. They do lack a call pocket, but I can wear one shirt and the sweater and be comfortable down to 30-35 degrees. Layer up and I am comfortable with even lower temps.

I caught them on sale like 2-3 years ago for $75 and bought two, and told several people I knew about them. One of my best investments ever.
Hope you enjoy the next one you,ll have coming in the mail. I,ve still got my pullover of the Macks brand. Bought it in 3xl at the time instead of 2xl. Amazing how warm they are with that wind blocker. And one of the best layering pieces i,ve ever found when it gets really cold.

Back