It is depressing !!!!!

Mo, whats up brother?
Just got back from hunting the east. went to camp Andy. It was horrible out there also.... Dont know what is going on, keep saying weather. I sound like a broken record.... Hopefully things improve. Hope all well with you.

See you soon

Mike

Started off ok but the last week haven't event fired a shot should get better with this little cold front coming this week

See what happens here all the birds are holding up in the fresh water need a good cold snap or it's not gonna happen. Last week the diver hunting was good but they're not event around this week we shall see

Hunted the last two days of the season on the Hudson,too warm. The only thing we got was very wet from a ship's displacement tsunami .

Mo - Our duck season has been out here in Central Illinois almost one week. Last Friday I went down to our duck club to pick up my sneak boat. I brought a few snow goose socks to set up on our levee just in case a few were around. Oh my! It was a migration day! Thousands of snows and specks migrating from the north. It was 48 degrees, I layed in my ground blind and watched the show never pulling the trigger. It was still better than the best day at work...

Hang in there... Pat

Resorted to pulling out the pond box today for Black Ducks. Needless to say it was a success and broke my drought. Decoyed one of the five blacks in four hours of hunting. Usually I see all sorts of birds and a few hundred at this time of the year. This is unreal. Sure beats last years cold. One thing we do have that I have not witnessed in twenty years is mergansers. We have redbreasted in flocks and they have been extinct from my area for awhile. Nice to see them again eventhough I prefer to leave them alone.

Hello I am from northern Wisconsin. For us opening weekend and the following week were very good. Are season started at the end of September. Opener started with mallards and woodducks and by the next weekend it was mostly divers.

We had a huge cold push the second weekend which in turn pushed most of the locals out and pushed a huge wave of divers threw. It was a strange season at best. Some hunters were killing birds like crazy and others were not seeing or shooting any. Just had to be in the right spot.

We also went to north Dakota were it seemed the same. We did well but others were not having such luck. We shot a mixed bag but the week before they hammered the mallards and pintails.

I think a lot pushed early this year. That being said once the northern zone closed pressure went down in the southern zone and friends were still having good results.

Sea duck hunting on lake Michigan was the same way one day was great and the following only produced a few birds. There were a lot less drakes than hens this year. We passed on a lot of big groups ten to thirty birds that were only hens and young drakes.

Good luck to all next year and keep your spirits up for the rest of this year. Scout scout and scout some more

I went out yesterday for an afternoon hunt .. It was warm and suny about 52 degree you can get a tan in the duck boat ... Lol ..and no wind and also no birds in the sky .
What amazes me is there's birds and I mean a lot of birds in our area they leave the marshes very very early before the shooting time and they don't come back till 2 hours after the dark and I have set on the marsh on perpose to watch when the birds are coming back to the marsh .
It seems like they figure out our shooting time and when the shooting time is over..no birds will land or decoy on the water ...
And if you see one they land on the marsh ...,
I think I am going to Chang tactics and try to do a layout hunt on the marsh this always work to ward the end of the season when the bird are decoy shy but I will try and I hope I will see some bird ..,

Mo I have seen the same behavior with our late season birds. They leave at sunup and spend the days in the open water of the Delaware bay. They only fly back to the marsh after sundown. Heavy weather is the only card that will disrupt this hard to hunt pattern.

Hey Mo!
Me and Larry did a full blown marsh hunt with the laydown blinds yesterday afternoon. Scared a bunch of ducks out while driving in and very little came back. All birds that did come back came in very high and wary...we were tucked in pretty good with the GHG stickup blackduck decoys setup in the sheet pond..Not a shot was fired!
WE NEED ICE!!

Back