January, 2016. What's on your workbench?

Bill,

How might one come and learn to carve/paint from you? I'm LOVING the lines of your birds at the neck!!! Really impressive!

Oh, I still have a shirt for you from Brad T. at Toller Boat Works.

Ed

I've done some demos at various shows over the years. If I had to guess I would say the next time I do one will be at an upcoming Midwest Decoy Collectors Association show in St. Charles, IL sometime in the next few years. You can check out info on the show at the following address:

http://www.nadecoycollectors.org/index-3.html

I also have a few short videos on my youtube channel that may give you a few tips:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcWMJsQG7egPKVv8jdqALsg/videos

Looking good Darin and everybody else. I'm going to have to take some of Geoff's advise and just dive in real soon. I'm bound to finish a bird eventually.

Love the wolf picture Mike...That is awesome!

Steve

Not works of art, like most other ones I see here... 2 part 8# urethane and flocked....

But, they should fool the dumb ones... working on 18 GEs, and 40-50 Cans.

Last edited:
Looks like we're already off to a good start. Here's a pintail I just finished for a customer in Maryland. Hollow cedar and oils with a cherry keel.

All~

Here is another pair of Flyers from the bench of George Williams:

George%20Williams_zpscugmz2wg.jpg

All the best,

SJS

A wigeon that has been hanging out in my rig.

It's never to early to start thinking about Turkey season. A Cuban Mahogany and Brazilian Rosewood Longbox. This sound will carry for miles!

fc967c9c-c1a2-4418-a05e-c5a1ef76539f.jpg
c839503f-1075-4f1e-8248-7f8635a9bbcf.jpg
0434d3b0-563f-436a-b7db-f63c189e453b.jpg
These are a pair of George Bacon style whistlers. I have been working on this project for a little less than a year. It took me a little while to track one of these decoys down where I could measure it handle it and take some good pictures. I think I'm pretty close even though some of my flair came out in it naturally. George Bacon (1861-1925)is the grandfather of Lake Champlain decoys. He made mostly hen whistlers a few Bluebills and one known Black duck. With the exception of John Bourbon from this site this style has kind of been lost. I'm hoping to improve upon this in the next pair and then apply it to other species.
Eddie

Last edited:
I've been working on a bunch of carvings, but don't have a camera. My daughter came home and was nice enough to take some pictures for me.

Good morning, Ron~

Great work all around!

On your Broadbill - are you vermiculating with a pen or brush?

All the best,

SJS

Thanks Steven,
I have trouble with vericulation so I used a pen. Looking at it now I see things I should have done better,my next one will be an improvement.

Back