January Work Bench

I think they could use some Beta testing in South Jersey on your way south. Got to make sure they will do the trick.

Here's the Common Merganser / Shelldrake / Goosander / Bull Shellpecker in full war paint (oils) - ready for a show on Monday. I love watching these guys scream along the rivers in late season.

CMerg12_zpsd4bab3d4.jpg

I say he's "half-size" but he's only 9 inches LOA.

CMerg6_zpsca597938.jpg

Excuse the multiple images - but I get a kick out of every angle on flying birds.

CMerg1_zps189f2115.jpg

All the best,

SJS

Here's the Common Merganser / Shelldrake / Goosander / Bull Shellpecker in full war paint (oils) - ready for a show on Monday. I love watching these guys scream along the rivers in late season.

CMerg12_zpsd4bab3d4.jpg

I say he's "half-size" but he's only 9 inches LOA.

CMerg6_zpsca597938.jpg

Excuse the multiple images - but I get a kick out of every angle on flying birds.

CMerg1_zps189f2115.jpg

All the best,

SJS

I really really dislike mergies but I absolutely love the one you made Steve. Spectacular as usual!!!

Steve, I'm just offended as all get out that you would make us look at more than one picture of that cool flying pose :D

More progress on the BB:

IMG_0105.jpg

Since the pic I slathered it up in floor sealer, if I can keep warm enough in the garage to keep my fingers from going numb, I'll do wires and canvas tonight...it's 11 below outside right now

Nice hoodie Colin. I can't tell that much from the pics but it looks like the grain on your head might be in the wrong direction. It could make the bill very fragile if your grain is running vertically. Also when you glue your two halves of the body together the grain should be running into each other. In other words the crown of the boards should be opposite each other so if they were to cup they would cup towards each other, not away from each other.

Here is a A. Elmer Crowell inspired bull sprig on the works. Still a ways to go but thought Id share the beginning stages.

Hollow white pine Bluebill ready for sealer. Goldeneye finished a while ago, I haven't hunted over it yet. The other two just painted.

Tom,
I see what you are saying with the grain in the head because it looks funny in the picture. I made sure that it was running with the bill before I cut it out so that it would be stronger. Nice Pintail!

It was a torrential downpour today so I was able to work on some more stuff, wound up with a teal and a conklin style shorebird ready for the paint table.

6A7F333C-6BD5-41D6-B203-E278BB475AB2_zpsil2hpcdg.jpg

a8f9a5e9-462b-4286-8ce8-c9614b96f3ea_zps10357674.jpg

Bill et al~

Here's an oversize "New/Mexican Duck" gunner I am working on. It is White Pine sealed with spar varnish and painted with acrylics/latex; it is scaled to a Herter's Model 72. The body will be charred tan cork.

I am struggling with the face color. I have seen Mottled Ducks in Florida and Texas but did not see any waterfowl the one time I was in Arizona. They are certainly different from Hen Mallards or Black Ducks. I moved the base color toward the tan of a Hen Mallard and away from than the tan/grey of a Black Duck. (and I kept the bill Ochre - out of sheer regional bias and stubbornness.) I welcome any suggestions/recommendations/insights.

MexicanDuckSMALL_zpsd8d671ab.jpg

All the best,

SJS

Steve, it's been a long time since I held a Mexican Duck in my hands but here is what I think I recall

The bill could be just a little more yellow, (cadmium as opposed to ochre?)
The eyeline might be a little more subtle
and this one is the most definitive Mexican Mallards don't have that black line at the interface of the bill and the face, (referred to as "tobacco lip" in the South).. Mottled Ducks have that line but unless I am totally wrong it is not present on the Mexican Duck..
Little things but I know you like to get those kind of things correct..

Steve

Back