JULY - What's on your Workbench?

Steve Sanford

All~

I keep jumping back and forth between my carving and my flatwork of late. Among other projects, I am working on several series of notecards. I just took a Songbirds set and a Waterfowl set to the local printers yesterday. I am also working on some sets of gunning decoys. I borrowed Jamie Woods' Al McCormick Black Duck for this piece. I used a combination of charcoal, watercolor and ink. The image is scanned and inserted into a Word document. I am waiting to hear back from my printer whether I should be looking for a better software for this purpose. Colors are a challenge with so many different steps and devices.

I did find a great place for the card stock, though (doubleUpaper.com).

A%20-%20McC%20CARD%206%20SMALL_zpsx0vlta1t.jpg

I've got a bunch of carvings going. Here are the beginnings of 3 of my favorites - the "flagships" of the Sanford line....

The preliminary paint on the Squaw and the Pintail are just one of my idiosyncratic practices - a check to make sure I'm happy with them before they get attached to bodies. Once final sanded, the birds will be sealed with varnish then primed before getting their oil topcoats.

A%20-%20Three%20Heads%20SMALL_zpstqsfhxlh.jpg

All the best,

SJS

The preliminary paint on the Squaw and the Pintail are just one of my idiosyncratic practices

Steve...

11429667_1596493227270680_7695801062874957722_n.jpg

Bob.... looks like that pair of blacks won the fight with your toothbrush!

All~

I keep jumping back and forth between my carving and my flatwork of late. Among other projects, I am working on several series of notecards. I just took a Songbirds set and a Waterfowl set to the local printers yesterday. I am also working on some sets of gunning decoys. I borrowed Jamie Woods' Al McCormick Black Duck for this piece. I used a combination of charcoal, watercolor and ink. The image is scanned and inserted into a Word document. I am waiting to hear back from my printer whether I should be looking for a better software for this purpose. Colors are a challenge with so many different steps and devices.

I did find a great place for the card stock, though (doubleUpaper.com).

A%20-%20McC%20CARD%206%20SMALL_zpsx0vlta1t.jpg

I've got a bunch of carvings going. Here are the beginnings of 3 of my favorites - the "flagships" of the Sanford line....

The preliminary paint on the Squaw and the Pintail are just one of my idiosyncratic practices - a check to make sure I'm happy with them before they get attached to bodies. Once final sanded, the birds will be sealed with varnish then primed before getting their oil topcoats.

A%20-%20Three%20Heads%20SMALL_zpstqsfhxlh.jpg

All the best,

SJS

SJS
Photoshop is best.
I send all my files out 300 ppi 16bit adobe rgb 1998 tiffs
For color correcting you can soft proof in photoshop if you have the profile for the printing process you are using. You should also balance your monitor

Patrick~

Thanks very much for sharing your experience. I have been avoiding Photoshop because of what I perceive as a steep learning curve. Is that true?

All the best,

SJS

Jeffery~

Thanks for the kind words.

re the mortise: For this Whimbrel, I drilled a 5/16" hole - on the drill press - about 1" deep into the head. I carve the "tenon" on the bill round so it will fit snugly into the mortise and then set it in glue. The bill is cut from a piece of Hickory limbwood so that the grain follows the curve of the bill.

All the best,

SJS

Patrick~

Thanks very much for sharing your experience. I have been avoiding Photoshop because of what I perceive as a steep learning curve. Is that true?

All the best,

SJS
I end up using a very small % of the program.
I find a way that works for me and keep doing that way.
Photoshop elements and lightroom are smaller and not as many bells and whistles. For me I could use either of those programs, but i bought photoshop 10 years ago and still haven't upgraded yet.
You can shoot your artwork with cross polarizing if you need to reduce glare. Also some papers have uv brighteners in them and like to turn bluish, you may need uv filter to reduce that.

Bill ... Steve and I exchanged PM-s earlier. Al McCormick (Mr. Decoy) was born and lived his whole life in Westbury.

Joe

Back