June in Alaska

Dani

Gold Sponsor
So, I have been approved for a work conference in June as well as getting to stay an extra week to explore Alaska. I have been looking at some of the train trips that allow you to explore Alaska. There are a couple I am interested in and I'll call the agency about them.

I know there are fly in trips available as well but I don't really have a good grasp on some of those outfitters/trips. Can anyone recommend outfitters? I need to start making my airline tickets for the trip so I need to figure out what I am going to do with my "extra" time.

Or other suggestions for what to do in June in Alaska?

Thanks a lot,

Dani

Train trip sounds great. I visited a friend there, great memories. Everything is a great distance apart, denali, fairbanks, wittier etc. E mail alaska tourist bureau, anchorage and your work conference for info. Good camera, comfortable cloths.

Dani, I have several friends who have done fly-in float trips on several rivers in the Bristol Bay area. Happy to connect you to them, but given their stories and pictures--a very large flood one year; multiple grizz encounters on others--don't think it's suitable as a solo trip.

So, I have been approved for a work conference in June as well as getting to stay an extra week to explore Alaska. I have been looking at some of the train trips that allow you to explore Alaska. There are a couple I am interested in and I'll call the agency about them.

I know there are fly in trips available as well but I don't really have a good grasp on some of those outfitters/trips. Can anyone recommend outfitters? I need to start making my airline tickets for the trip so I need to figure out what I am going to do with my "extra" time.

Or other suggestions for what to do in June in Alaska?

Thanks a lot,

Dani

June could be practically winter in a lot of the state.

Without a question, having spent a lot of time in the state, for the first trip I'd get a car and drive. Just getting a car with good tires and driving is what I'd do. I looking at driving up the Parks highway, across the Denali, down the Richardson, across the Glenn. I don't know if the Denali would be open then. Lodging would be sparse, but the "Milepost" would have the lodging. That would take a couple days and get to a lot of scenery. The Kenai will be more moderate in temps, there is a lot to see just driving to Seward and Homer, like a lot. Take a milepost and stop at what catches your eye. I think you would sell Alaska short spending your time at one location.

So, I do have a copy of the Milepost and I've been enjoying reading through it.

I took a look at airfare and it's really not that much different for a round trip to anchorage vs fly in to anchorage and leave from fairbanks to come home. So, that really opens up a lot of options for me.

Thanks for the ideas so far....

Dani

My wife and I honeymooned in Alaska, we flew to Anchorage, did a day trip by train to Seward, then train north stopping in Denali for a few days, then on to Fairbanks. From there a van tour to the arctic circle. Unlike my mom and dad's honey moon, we did not do any fishing, but did fill up with a lot of day activities. Aside from the train and hotel, we really did not have any reservations, just winged it as we went. This was when internet shopping and reservations was in its infancy, but we had done some pretrip internet scouting beforehand. I could go on for hours and this was decades ago.

I would highly recommend the train from Anchorage to Fairbanks, Denali was booming when we were there, I would expect the tourist aspect of it is getting out of hand by now, but if you line up an outfitter there are many other small town stops on the way you might be able to utilize.

We were there in June and the weather was great, but then we were not acclimated to Florida. I believe we were told that June is typically the best weather, that it can get rainy in July and August but now we are really testing my memory.

FYI my wife has told me I can never take her on another vacation to Alaska as it would be a waste of half of a round trip plane ticket as she would not come back home.

Chuck

PS I love traveling by train

Dani, you will see more scenery on the train trip than driving. Fly in fishing is a great trip,nice solitude, no noises except float planes. Or just take a remote fly over. Lake hood has many flight operators.

I have taken the train from Anchorage to Denali and on to Fairbanks, the ferry from Ketchikan to Skagway, done fly-in float trips in the Bristol Bay area and Gates of the Arctic and ocean fished out of Seward and Homer. It's a huge state with many opportunities. How much time do you have and what would you like to see or do?

Dani, I worked a couple of summers along Prince William Sound and the weather in June can be really shitty. If you go to the interior, the weather should be better. You'll have plenty of daylight.

I will have about an extra week after my conference....i WANT to do EVERYTHING buuuuuuut I know that I can't.....

at this point I am leaning towards the train trip from anchorage to denali and then on to Fairbanks. I need to make the flight arrangements but I think I'll be flying into Anchorage and will plan to leave from Fairbanks.

My only possible concern is the train....I've never been on one before and since I get everything-else-that-moves-sick, the odds are good that trains will be high on that list of possibility to make me sick. The trip I am considering is not cheap and it would suck to spend that much money to be sick for much of it.

I will likely suck it up and just take the chance, it's just something I think about.

I will have about an extra week after my conference....i WANT to do EVERYTHING buuuuuuut I know that I can't.....

at this point I am leaning towards the train trip from anchorage to denali and then on to Fairbanks. I need to make the flight arrangements but I think I'll be flying into Anchorage and will plan to leave from Fairbanks.

My only possible concern is the train....I've never been on one before and since I get everything-else-that-moves-sick, the odds are good that trains will be high on that list of possibility to make me sick. The trip I am considering is not cheap and it would suck to spend that much money to be sick for much of it.

I will likely suck it up and just take the chance, it's just something I think about.
You might try dried ginger or something called relief band https://www.reliefband.com/ for the motion sickness

Back