kansas hunting ?

There are ducks there :). I didn't hunt a LOT while I was there, my goal was to finish grad school quickly. I didn't take my boat when we moved there [shocked] Still, I did have some good hunts while living there. It wouldn't be a destination duck hunting state for me, but there are huntable numbers.

Probably the most well known area is Cheyenne Bottoms near Great Bend. Legend says it can be fantastic at times. I scouted there a few times, but never actually hunted it. There are several largish reservoirs spread across the state and a couple of small/navigable rivers that CAN hold decent numbers once shallow water starts getting iced up. The state also manages several smaller marshes (pumping or capturing run-off as the season draws near). These are typically close to said lakes and rivers. They can have decent hunting when filled and thawed. I never tried, but you might be able to call them to get the status of flooding the marsh areas.

Like most places, it depends on the weather and hunting pressure, and the more work you put in, the better the hunting will be. Ducks may be there one day and gone the next, so you have to go find them again. Being flexible as to where you hunt is important (walk-in marsh one day then it freezes that night and you move to the bigger lake 1/2 a mile away the next day).

The state has a website that shows estimated populations at various areas, though most people question the accuracy of the counts. It can at least give you some sort of scale.

What part of Kansas are you planning on hunting in?

Lived here 6 years now, the duck hunting during deer season is usually pretty good I spend a lot of time on the bigger reservoirs, Pheasant hunting in my area is poor to fair just depends on how much walking you like to do. Everyone here is a monster buck hunter so the deer hunters don't want you disturbing there hunting areas during the season which brings us back to duck hunting.

Some of my most memorable hunts have been in Kansas. There are ducks you have to put in some time to find them. Find open water in a drought area and have fun

Back