Kayak plans

Phil,

Another option is Pygmy Boats.

I have personally looked at some of there completed boats and like what I see. I came real close to ordering some plans but then I found a commercially made kayak which fit my needs so I did not end up building one. That and I would have preferred a strip built if I built one for myself. Pygmy plans (actually complete kits) use precut plywood for building.

Phil,

Here's a place to start: http://www.clcboats.com/

A friend has a business building and assisting others in building primarily strip built canoes, boats and kayaks. I know he has done several CLC boats - I helped him glass several. Here is his web site: http://rockrivercanoe.com/ If you call, ask for Kim - owner. He has done stitch & glue but is primarily a strip builder at present.

Bear Mountain boat shop sells a variety of plans from various designers. I like the versatile Endeavor plan myself - good for flat/rough water conditions, sea and whatever else you could find to float it in. Its an easy plan to build and has a great step by step manual.

So... for you open water Kayak experts... I really like the look of the Pygmy Golen eye better than the Queen Charlotte... But it is 16" shorter... how big of a deal is this.... This is for use around the Apostle Islands....

Last edited:
Please guys... what plan would you build for the Apostle Islands......

I am leaning toward Pygmy... but am open to others...

Last edited:
Phil, I wish I could help but your ahead of me on this project I am still in the dreaming stage of a sea kayak. Let me know if you want to hunt the siblings on Superior this fall.

Wish I could help you on that....my dad built two CLC Kayaks....gorgeous boats. But I know nothing about the Apostle Islands sooooooo I look forward to the build pictures

Dani

Phil,

I have had a Pygmy Coho for 9 years now. Building the boat was fun and only took me about three weeks working an hour or two at night. Have spent many of hours on Lake Michigan around the Manitou Islands around Traverse City, Lake Erie around Bass Island, and the Quetico. Very similar conditions that you will be facing in the Apostle Chain. I would not be afraid in any condition to take my boat there for a camping trip.

The boat is fast and tracks very well. Have clocked myself empty on GPS on consistent 3.4 mph paddle with a Greenland style paddle. Does not sound like much but believe me that is moving.

One question you need to really understand is your size in the boat. I am only 5'7" with a shoe size of 9.5. Now why is that important! Well one is the height of your foot at rest against the toe cleats inside the boat. I mostly paddle bare footed, wearing water shoes/sandles just to get into the boat from shore. Much taller buddies with larger feet have complained about not too much on the opening but their feet being bent in the boat. If you are larger in size, especially foot size I highly recommend going to the larger Queen or at least the boats that have the XL or HI within the description. It gives you higher clearances on foot room.

I have nothing but high regards for the Coho. Have spent many two week trips in the Quetico with enough gear to have to portage twice per route. They easily roll in heavy water conditions, even full of gear and I have at no time been worried about the stuff I have put the boat and I through. I have been caught several times between South Manitou Island and Bear Sands Dunes in the channel on a south or north blow. The ranger gives you a 3 hour window to cross in those conditions. Have seen white capping waves in the 6 foot range and cut through them without much effort. Slightly scared the first time but once you learn to roll I would rather be in a boat like that on lake Michigan then a 24 foot displacement hull.

I think you get the point but do recommend the Coho!!!!!

Regards,
Kristan

A few Recommendations:

-Do not put bulkheads in the boat (gives more open clearance to place rods and other gear that can extend past the length of fore and aft.)
-Buy Waterproof bow and stern bags (they carry alot of gear plus add floatation to the boat if you do not wear your spray skirt)
-Get a paddle float for entry back in the boat.
-Buy or build yourself a hand pump
-Buy yourself a waterproof fore saddle bag (they are great for storage of anything you need handy; maps, phone, food, drinks, and etc.)
-Buy or make yourself a Greenland paddle (2 would be the best, in case you forget to snap your paddle retrieve on while paddling)
-Learn to roll with and without a paddle

Regards,
Kristan

Thanks! The only problem with the Coho, is that, by as near as I can tell, it only comes in a kit... not as plans.... I am guessing based on CLC, that I would need a 17' boat... as I weight 205, 5'11... but I say 6'... with a 10.5 shoe size..... SO if I go with the Pygmy.. I would need the Queen Charlotte.

I also stumbled across this one.... http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/stitch-and-glue-kayaks/chesapeake-kayaks/chesapeake-17-lt-sea-kayak-kit.html
If it works out... I would prefer to utilize the same plans for my wife's... would it work for her too? 5'5", 135..... 8....

This comes after the Kayak is done, but you need to start getting comfortable working at 1/2 speed when you park in the middle of the ramp to unload and load.

This comes after the Kayak is done, but you need to start getting comfortable working at 1/2 speed when you park in the middle of the ramp to unload and load.

That is only required if the next guy in line is a professor from Connecticut. :>)

That is only required if the next guy in line is a professor from Connecticut. :>)

I don't think those guys are state or profession dependent. :)

Back