Lab puppy

Brad Wainscott

I first would like to thank everyone one on here for the all the help over the last few months, this forum has been the best wealth of information on a lot of topics! With that being said I do need advice on something else that I can't find much information on! We are getting a lab pup and have 1st choice of one of the males. The dad is a yellow and the mom is black, they are both registered and I saw the pedigree background. This will be there first litter due august 15th. I really liked the looks of the dad and the mom, well she is due next week. My question is I read somewhere to beware of backyard breeders. The pups are not close to expensive as some I have seen although I would be willing to spend a lot more on a dog. I kind of liked the thought of dealing with someone local. The dog is mainly going to be an indoor dog, but will also run at the farm and obviously train to duck hunt. The people breeding are very nice and said that after I see the pups they understand if for some reason I were to back out. After meeting the dogs today my kids have already picked out names (my fault). Anyone's thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Brad

I wouldn't say beware of backyard breeders but beware of breeders not breeding for hunting dogs if that is what you want. "Registered" means nothing, look for MH, SH, even DC in the pedigree. If the parents don't hunt then be prepared to have a dog that has little desire. Not saying it couldn't be good but if you want a hunting dog get it from a hunting background.
There are too many good hunting dogs with no titles but good genetics out there to get a pup from some dogs that you don't know what you will get. I heard several times from very smart dog people that you buy the pedigree and then get whatever pup you want from that litter for whatever reason you want.

Believe me I understand the reality of not wanting to spend a ton on a pup. I was lucky but mine isn't a cheap dog just a good deal for the quality. There is also more then just hunting desire. There are many health issues with some breeds, health checks and a good history of the ancestors is worth a lot. If the hips go bad at 4 years old on a lab you are going to be out a lot more then what you would be from just getting a good bloodline in the first place. Also trainability is something you won't know about unless the parents have had a lot of obedience and/or hunt training.

I also would not take kids along until you are sure you are going to get one. Be patient and get a pup that will work for all of you. Don't just settle to get one now. I am so glad I had knowledgeable people telling me to do just that last year. You don't have to spend a huge amount to get a good dog but some research on hunting dog forums will be needed.

Good luck, get what you want...it will be a 10-15 year investment.

Tim

Last edited:
Good advice, thanks Tim! I think I'm going to slow it down and do some more research. I definitely want some hunting background with the pup. I'm sure if I'm patient the right one will come along.
Thanks

My 9 year old is from a "backyard breeder" on the Eastern shore of MD. The parents did hunt, were AKC but had no hunt titles. They were just working duck and goose dogs. He turned out fantastic. Amazing nose, perfect temperment as a pet and gun dog and he LOVES bringing me back birds. This time around I went with a reputable breeder out in PA. More expensive then my 9 year old was BUT I am putting the odds in my favor (hopefully) of getting a "natural" hunter. I would put most consideration on 2 things 1) health of the line 2) parents hunting ability. Just my opinion. Best of luck

Thanks Matt, I went with a more well known breeder with a lot more of a hunting background. The pups dad was a grand champion and although I'm not to worried about that stuff I think about how long the dog will be with me and I would feel a little more comfortable knowing this! The parents were both duck hunters as well.

Back