Latest Gunning Coffin

Steve Sanford

All~

In addition to two veteran gunning vessels at our ON THE FALLING TIDE exhibit this past Saturday, I had long planned to bring one of my gunning coffins. One minor problem was that I had sold my last one to another duckboats.net member a couple of winters ago - and "lent" an earlier one to another friend. So, this "coffin" (aka meadow box, gunning box) was still one sheet of AC plywood at my local lumber yard one week ago. I began laying out the lines around lunchtime Monday - and tied on the last bundle of Salt Hay around dinnertime on Thursday.

Frames and transoms are Cypress. Canvas is Sunbrella "Tresco Birch. Hull is 'glassed with 6-ounce cloth. "Bow" around head is best from half-inch conduit.

It is pretty much "original recipe" but I did widen the forward end - for a bit more shoulder room and less strain on the chine logs and rub rails.

The back story is at: https://stevenjaysanford.com/sanford-gunning-box-2/

and the full building instructions are at: https://stevenjaysanford.com/sanford-gunning-box/

Here she is about 200 miles away from any Salt Meadow.....

Coffin%2001%20-%20bottom_zpsa3r4xs14.jpg

Coffin%2002%20-%20side_zpscsuvlxxr.jpg

Individual bundles are lashed to 2 rows of shock cord. It took about one hour to thatch her. I scavenged the Salt Hay from my sneakbox RED-LEG.

23.%20Finish%20with%20a%20square%20knot%20-%20just%20a%20hundred%20or%20so%20more%20-%20and%20youre%20done_zpsfyd8vsw7.jpg

Coffin%2003%20-%20bow_zps1phh2x8b.jpg

Headrest is padded with closed-cell foam.

Coffin%2007%20-%20headrest_zps4cx6p5iz.jpg

I put an extra large eye splice up forward so it can serve as a lifting handle. The painter must be long enough so your heels do not kick the box when dragging it.

Coffin%2004%20-%20Bow%20closeup_zpsuperipdz.jpg

Slot is cut in stern transom for lifting.

Coffin%2006%20-%20foot_zps8plovwn4.jpg

Here she is hiding in last year's wildflowers.

Coffin%2008%20-%20in%20meadow_zps6nsivf5f.jpg

Coffin%2010%20-%20foot%20in%20meadow_zps7hpcwazx.jpg

Coffin%2009%20-%20meadow%20bow_zpsuhsktxa3.jpg

I recorded the new, wider measurements but have not yet amended the plans on my site.

All the best,

SJS

SJS

looking forward to you posting your new wider measurements. Need to build a couple of these before next season. By the way how much does the new coffin weigh?

Well done as usual. Wish I were younger and had a spot to use one. So crowded here now that we have assigned spots with a waiting list for spots. Have had one spot since 1959 and another since 1970.
Years ago I hunted all over depending on the wind. Now full of floaters.

Steve:
Always appreciate your articles, On the East End of L.I. has been flooded with "Floaters" & a waiting list for hunting spots !!!!!!!!!!, can not find spots to hunt out of Duck Boats + NYC transplants complaining of hunters. Years past with hunted with our boats without today's issues.

steve, you might want to put runners on bottom. notice on my pods the one with a keel pulled easier on dry marsh less surface area in contact with ground equals less friction. I'm going to try putting spring scale on your box with flat to ground and one with pvc pipe cut in half length ways . thinking maybe 2 in. with 45 degree or more angle to front then plated. this not going to add much weight. ill then pull each box under same conditions and length rope. what do you think hunted your box for years and luv it. rick

Good morning, Rick~

It was great to see and talk with you at Saturday's Show.

In my mind, runners are the classic 2-edged sword. They definitely reduce friction when pulling the box across the saltmarsh. But, they also really add some "grip" when hauling across dryish mud.

I once built a boat with runners on her bottom - for occasional scooting over ice and launching over the beach on wooden rollers. It served those 2 purposes well . BUT - if the tide ran out on me and I had to drag or push the boat over sand or mud, those runners became vises that held me to the bottom of Great South Bay.

All the best,

SJS

steve , that's why I'm thinking round no edge to catch. it would be able to slide back and forth with out edge pinch. the keel on pod starts at 2 in bottom to about 4 in top with round edge. trail and error. like old timers use to say it aint law so do it great show luv them black duck rick.

Looking at the image of the bottom and the plans on your site makes me think that I may have found the pond box/garvey-pram I was looking for--with some modification, of course.

i'm thinking that stretching dimensions by 20 percent in length and width and an increase in side height to 14 inches may do the trick. I'll try sketching it that way and then try a model.

Thanks for posting!

Hey Cap,
Two things;
First, why did you opt to pitch the transom instead of making it vertical flat? I'm sure you have a reason.
Also, did you ever think of sewing loops into the canvas instead of the shock cord method? Again, I'm sure there's a reason why you opted for the cord.
-Wrack

Mac~

My original boxes had sewn loops. I used "buckram" - which is a heavy belt made from jute, typically used in draperies. I switched to the shock cord to protect the thatch. The shock cord allows the thatch to move out of the way, rather being snapped off on the inboard end of each loop. (It's also much less work to install the grommets than to sew down the loops every few inches.)

Also, I rake the stern transom so that the soles of my boots rest on them when I am down and hiding. On the box I had at the Show on Saturday, I stretched the bottom length to 7 feet - so it would fit guys like you. I raked that one because it just looks "right" - more nautical than a plumb stern.

All the best,

SJS

CK~

I look forward to your build.

Just one thought: Because the "decks" are canvas and not rigid, you may not need to make the sides as high as 14 inches. With 8 inch side heights, my box hides even my "prodigious" belly. On the other hand, I am a big fan of trial-and-error / experimentation. Have at it!

All the best,

SJS

Thanks Cap'

Given the more efficient stature of most of my clan, I plan to use the "classic" Sanford plan for a couple of boxes this summer. I am also planning to use black line for the painter but will embrace the shock cord. :)

This is an awesome box for the meadow.

Tom

Back