Lay Out Boat

i am certainly no expert

but layouts were developed for big water.

wouldn't a sneakbox - with its low profile and manual as well as power propulsion be better suited to a marsh

these two boats evolved for a reason

like i said - i'm no expert - but i think many of the old timers were

i've been seriously considering a second boat for our marsh for when I hunt alone (with a partner, we use a 14' jon boat with a blind rig)
if i do build one - it will be some form of sneakbox sized for me and a dog

Thats an open water layout, generally used in or close to a large rig of divers, they are usually carried on deck or towed to location, depending on design it may or may not tow well, probably won't row or pole well either, and of course there's no motor.
For marsh hunting there's better options...

Steve, lay out boat is men for open water gunning ,The type you show in the photo reminds me of the one i have built by a man marty kristiansen little silver n.j.
732 977 5648 he also builds two models of n.j. style sneak boxes one that plains off & one that is ment to go in real rough water conditions give him a call you wont be sorry.

Phil

I would look into a Momarsh for the type of hunting you describe. I hunt out of one with my dog behind me. You can put a small motor on it or use a Kayak paddle. They are very stable

Paul that is your old boat, David Clark has put a new bottom on it and re glassed the whole boat. I was thinking of grassing the whole deck and using it for Brant here in Rhode Island.

Paul Dobrosky said:
Steve, lay out boat is men for open water gunning ,The type you show in the photo reminds me of the one i have built by a man marty kristiansen little silver n.j.
732 977 5648 he also builds two models of n.j. style sneak boxes one that plains off & one that is ment to go in real rough water conditions give him a call you wont be sorry.

Phil, I thought it look familiar,By the WAY BEING you mentioned Dave Clark , He also builds lay out boats, & the famous ESTUARY SNEAK BOX Give him a call & see what he has to say, HE MAKES A !ST CLASS PRODUCT

make up woven mats weave with cut up grass, to lay over the to hide , thats what i did when it became a marsh boat for the day .worked out very well.

Thanks Paul, I went to his shop today to see the Lay Out boat. He is building a Bud Miles Sneak Box its all cedar and he said it would only be about 150 lbs and good to row. He has a flyer that Bud had and it says the boats are 135 lbs and Bud had made 81 of them. David is making Bud's hull number MCB # 082. It is pretty neat seeing the frames and the planking going on. I think I will have him build me one of them instead of buying your old Lay Out boat.
Thanks
Phil

Back