Levis Strauss You Disappoint Me

Eric Patterson

Staff member
As a boy growing up my parents would not buy me Levis. God I hate to admit it but I wore Sears Toughskins. Hated them damn things. Ugly and uncomfortable but cheap so that's what I had to wear. Makes me mad just thinking about it. At some point I started getting Levis. Maybe it was 6th grade, can't remember. 505s fit me just fine and always got better with age. I've worn them for around 35 years now. Last weekend I bought several new pairs. Put them on today and something seemed different, looked weird. Then it hit me. Two belt loops were missing. Instead of seven mine had five. I figured I got a pair that didn't get picked up as defective by some inspector. After all, Levis don't change. They are one constant in life. Something I can depend on for consistency. Got home from work and looked at my old pairs and they have seven loops. All my new pairs only have five. Did a quick google search and learned two back loops were dropped as a cost savings measure and marketed as "a change to reflect today's consumer needs". What a crock. So what's the big deal with two fewer belt loops. Well for starters my belt rides up and the denim sags. Ticks me off they choose to omit two belt loops in order to keep the cost down a few cents. Go ahead Levi, pass the cost of those two loops on to me. I promise I can afford it. I won't drop you for another brand for a buck. Not after 35 years of satisfaction. Now I'm ready to buy someone else's jeans. Or maybe I'll wear my jeans 4" lower than the start of my ass crack. Won't matter then will it? Pretty sad when something as constant as a pair of Levis changes so some bean counter can show more profit and make the stock holders feel good. Maybe the stock holders wear designer jeans and don't even know.

Last edited:
Funny you mention this......thismorning while putting on my belt wearing my 505's i thought something was different but didn't know what.

I don't wear Levis, several reasons that do not have anything to do with how well they are made, but I noticed the same thing on some newer Wrangler I have. Not sure if all Wranglers are that way now or not.

If you didn't like the Toughskins Jeans you had to just love the Sears Corduroys? I swear if you had to walk more then 4 blocks to school the sound would drive you crazy.
I can remember going through the sears boxes after they were delivered. Amazing that people could buy stuff and have it shipped to their house before the internet. No way was my mom going to take 6 kids clothes shopping.

Now try to find shoes as comfortable as these. :)

2683_pd2015716_1_zpsc38c97f5.jpg

Tim

Hey Eric,
I am sitting here counting my belt loops on my 501 jeans, seven loops!

You almost got me ;0)

I was shopping for the kids last week, and I told my FAVORITE wife that I needed jeans. Well after becoming overwhelmed with the varieties of jeans I finally found what I was looking for, my favorite 501 button fly jeans.

My wife says, with a crooked face. Button flies? I told her she wouldn't understand.

I do remember the years of wearing those sears tough skins jeans, they felt like sandpaper, they practically stood on their own, but I never complained. It's what mom and dad could afford.

Boy have times changed.

Hope you and the family are doing well, be safe this season.

Regards,
Jack

I like the carpenter dickes pants (carhartts are just to damn expensive for every day use, those are my going pants), they come in brown tan and green. They stand by themselves until broken in(2years later) but they are great pants. We used to get them for a crisp $20 bill at a junk shop in town. No taxes on clothes back then and they had a lifetime warranty. we only took one back since the zipper broke a month later.

Now the shop went out of business and I have to go to Walmart for pants

Jack

My dad was a EE and while we weren't rich I think they could have bought something that didn't leave calluses on my knees! Now one must admit the color selection was right spiffy. Let's see, green, burgundy, brown, and navy blue. A match with any top was possible. Plaid! Who can forget plaid Toughskinns?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2ci2ev8FZY

Read the comments for some good laughs.

All in good fun.

Last edited:
Tim "The Winner" J

Do you sport those before you put your waders on?

Anyone who wore Toughskins is lying if they say they didn't wear The Winner... unless they wore Pro Keds.

....something that didn't leave calluses on my knees! Now one must admit the color selection was right spiffy. Let's see, green, burgundy, brown, and navy blue. A match with any top was possible. Plaid! Who can forget plaid Toughskinns?

Read the comments for some good laughs.

All in good fun.

I'm crying from laughing so hard... Thanks :0)

Hey Eric,
I quit wearing Levis when they became the primary sponsor of the Gay Olympics. You could be making the wrong statement with Rainbow suspenders!
Not that there is anything wrong with that, John
My new Lees still have 7 loops.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric,

I too remember the Toughskins!

It isn't just Levi's that is cutting the number of belt loops. I have been getting jeans at TSC lately, Schmidt's brand. I got some 3 or 4 years ago, they fit good and last a long time. I got a couple more pairs earlier this year. At first they didn't seem to fit as good. I figured they just needed to break in. I then noticed only five belt loops.

I hate to go out and buy more jeans when these are still 'new.'

Tom

Well that's just great...My wife has been bugging me to go "Jean Shopping". I haven't owned a pair of Levi's for eons, I quit wearing them when I couldn't find any to fit comfortably. I've been wearing the Lee Carpenter Jeans and they seem to fit good and no issues. I haven't counted belt loops, but they stay in place, so I'll assume there are still seven loops. I was going to give Levi's a go again if I ever make it out to go "Jean Shopping"...or perhaps I'll just stick with the Lees. If it ain't broken don't fix it.

Steve

Eric
What's a person to do? :)
wis boz

You know, I could go for the supenders look. Might even be able to find a pair of rainbow suspenders :)

Eric,

I would stay away from the "rainbow" design, unless you're really enjoying the "wedgie" you're experiencing with the two missing belt loops!

Art

Eric,

Try Dickies Relaxed Fit Carpenter Jeans. I have been buying them for around $25. Less when on sale.
They have 7 belt loops, fit great and hold up very well as work jeans.

Back