Light Steel Loads for Decoying Ducks?

Try setting out one odd decoy 25-30 yds on the outside of your rig as a yard stick. I use mostly 2 3/4 inch 4's or 5's. Try 7 steel trap loads for cripples, hold a little high on the head. Lots of shot...

I actually do the exact opposite, but I think you are likely hunting from a boat. The last few years, from my low blind, I've aimed a ft or two in front of the duck and skipped the entire pattern into its chin.

My early season (most productive) hunting is done on small water creeks & ponds & the shot you describe is just fine. Particularly in the creeks going through thick woods. The shooting is actually closer than I would prefer.

I had good success with low brass loads of #6 out of my 20 gauge for a little pond I used to hunt. There were no shots past 20 yards... That being said, I wouldn't try it on big water where there might be temptation to take alonger shot.

low brass 6s work well, I still have a few flats of high brass 6s that fiocchi made for a few years and those things are killer. I shoot the low brass a lot and shot 6's the whole time this last week hunting with excellent results. I prefer a light modified choke sporting clays choke made by carlson.

Small shot kills ducks... until the wind blows. any kinda crossing wind is gonna make for a long day with lil pellets. But swarms of angry 7's hitting a duck (even a big duck) centered in the pattern at a decent range is fun fun fun. travis

I thought I was the only guy shooting the light 6 shot.Been using it for about 3 years and it works very well. It is hard to find in this area so I get it whenever I see some.
Works for me, John

I've had great luck with the light 6's on buffies and BB's. I tried a box of 7's later in the season and had trouble anchoring birds. I'm going to use up my 7's early in the year and stick to the 6's once they get feather up and fat.

Inside 30 yards I think they do a better job than 3's. 3" 3's were my old standard...

Thanks for all the replies!
I am going to pick up at least one box of #6s and give them a try during the early season.

Back