Looking for a Wood Duck

Ed Auman

Hello Gentlemen,

I'm looking for a mature Drake Wood Duck or feathers from, to tie flies with. Would like to trade or work something out. If you have one you might be willing to part with please send me a PM. Thanks in advance, Ed Auman

Last edited:
Hey Ed I have got one made in pine but I dont think you will get any feathers of that one HeHeHe. Im sorry I could,nt resist that one.
take care and God Bless
Eddie.
Its all about Building that Bond.

Hello Eddie,

I bet its a great looking carving. I'd love to see it sometime. But if you'd like I can change my post subject to looking for Pine Wood Duck!! hahaha....
Thanks for the laugh!! EA

Send me your address and I'll send you some feathers. If you sent me back a couple small trout flies made of them, that would be great.

Hello Kevin,
Thank you for the very nice offer. I will tell you now I have never tied a fly in my life. hahaha. I have a friend at work that ties. He told me that he'd teach my nephew and I to tie a few different flies if I could get him some Wood duck feathers. So thats where we stand right now. I have a few offers already but I'd take you up on the offer and send you a few as soon as I learn to tie some. I'll also pay for the postage for you to send them to me. Thank you very much Kevin.. EA

Hey ED all joking aside its not all that hard to tie flys, when I was fly fishing I use to tie all my own flys from black nats on size 22 hooks to nymths and dry flys, if you get a good book on fly tying you will soon pick it up.
take care and God Bless
Eddie
Its all about Building that Bond.

Just a FYI a hooded merganser makes a good sub for wood duck feathers.

Have not tied anything a several years now but I remember they person teaching me mentioning that fact and when I look at the two they are very similar.

Hey Kevin,

Your holding out on me. Did not know you had wood duck flank feathers. I will tie up a couple of dozen flies for your banquet plus a few for you to use on some of the eastern Sierra waters if you send some my way. We ever going to get together and fish?

Saw your picture in the CWA magazine of your dinner. You have been doing that dinner for some time now. We have our dinner this Saturday, our fourth.

Tight Lines ... Fred

Hey Ed,

I have some very nice flank wood duck feathers for you. I will give them to Carl at Westlake and he can get them to you when he gets back to Maine.

Hope to see you this spring for some carving.

Take Care,
Kenley

You only need them Ed for a few nymph patterns. I used to use them for wings on "Catskill" dry flies, but long ago switched to Compara-duns and parachutes. You need coastal deer hair, calf tail, hackle and dubbing. Word of advice.....you don't save money tying flies if that is your reason. But it's fun and instead of going on the stream with 2 dozen flies in your vest, you go on the stream with 500 or more......to match one bug........hahahaha

Trust me on this one......get ROTARY vises. Up there you must use lots of wooly buggers and you can pound them out with a rotary without getting your stuff all twisted. Keep an eye on Ebay for them. Renzetti was the first but there are a lot of other good ones out there now.

Back