Lund Ricer from the 1960?s fix up

bob welsh

This is a Lund ricer that I picked up a wile back and has just floated to the top of my list. It was made for the wild rice harvest in MN. The boat was designed to be poled into the rice and Then the head of the rice would be bent over the boat and you would give the stalk a whack with a stick and the rice would collect in the bottom.
The boat was used near Leech Lake Mn.
It is about 14 ft long. The sides are completely vertical without the tumble home in most canoes.
I?m going to give it a quick fix up no fancy restoration. It?s going to be a decoy and gear boat.
View attachment 8BC9D2F3-22A2-4176-BC40-3907118715C9.jpeg

That is one fine looking specialized vessel.

I look forward to seeing your added touch.

Every time we drove through Minn. on our way to the Duck Factory. I would stop at very rural roadside stands, and buy bags of local harvested Wild Rice. Still have a large bag in the freezer. Love the stuff.

VP

Bob~

Very cool vessel! Nice clean innards to make rice removal fairly simple. Or can you cook/dry the rice right in the hull????

As always, I look forward to your "sprucing" it up - if one can use such a word with a tin boat.....

All the best,

SJS

Yet another boat she doesn't know about. She must have a closet full of shoes and purses!

Last edited:
She knows about this one. Hard to sneak boats in during the stay at home. With time on my hands I have located some nice ones . I have only purchased 2 . Passed on one more (tuffy teal). There was some good stuff out there recently. I?m waiting to pick up a boat , behaving like a good citizen and I have most of the rebuild materials in the shop.

Neat find. I can?t wait to see what your resto does to clean her up.
I am sans a project boat so far this year. I?ll keep my eyes open for the right one

Good morning, Bob~

Flex-Seal? Which product? Is that between the layers of aluminum - before you re-riveted? or over the seam? ( I have a leaky old jonboat that needs a quick-and-dirty/last-act-of-a-desperate-man repair. Your "screen door" reference reminds me of the old "screen door on a submarine" simile....)

Also, is the new transom also plywood? Marine? Thickness? How did you bed, seal and finish it?

Will propulsion be pole and paddle or something hung off that new transom?

All the best,

SJS

Morning Steve, I used the flex seal in the spray form. I dont know if it was leaky or not but figured it couldnt hurt. After I bucked the rivets I gave the seams 2 coats of that stuff. I made the new transom from treated 3/4 scrap plywood. I used stainless hardware. it used to be that stainless and treated was a no-no. copper treated and stainless causes a reaction Plus the aluminum. I would worry if i had a better project but this one not so much. I added an oak piece on the outboard side of the transom. Added a bit of regular house caulk between layers but not enough to make removal a bitch. I have a 3.5 longtail that I may throw on , or just pole it. I will give it a coat of od green .

Got the primer coat on the boat today. I bought Parker?s. I have not used it in a while so gave it a try. Washed , sanded, wiped down then primer . Temps in Chicagoland have been good during the day. Getting a lot done.

Bob

That fresh coat of paint reveals just how good of shape the boat is in. I don't see a dent anywhere. Neat project.

Eric

Good morning, Bob~

Gorgeous! As I anticipated, clean enough to eat out of!

BTW: I, too, have become a devotee of those mini rollers for most of my paint work.

All the best,

SJS

This will be the cleanest the boat will ever be for sure. My Pro Staff painting tip is the plastic shopping bag stretched over the paint pan as a liner. Honestly by the time you clean the spray gun and for the quality of boat the mini rollers work well.

I have seen a few these floating around and when ricing season approaches they will pop up on Craigslist here, the older model had a seat about at the third point from the rear. The "whacker" sat there and another guy polled the boat form behind.

Back