MAY - What's on your Work Bench ?

Steve Sanford

Well, I have waited 'til noon - to give Tod Osier a chance to start this thread. So, here goes - with a bit of Long Island decoy history thrown in.

A friend recently asked me to finish a half-dozen McCormick Broadbill stool - which he had just gotten from another friend. Al McCormick was "Mr. Decoy" on Long Island for decades. His typical M. O. was to teach others to carve their own rigs. His style of pedagogy was very "hands on" - i.e., there was only One Way to carve a bird. So, regardless of whose birds they were, most looked strikingly similar to a McCormick Original. And, some never got completely finished or hunted.

Al%20McCormick%20-SMALL_zpsvtxudc0d.jpg

Al used brown (black/refrigerator) cork sealed with a slurry of spar varnish and cork dust. Heads were of Red Cedar - usually from 4x4 stock. Although most famous for his Black Ducks, he also carved Broadbill, Brant and even Geese (I believe). I own a couple of Blacks and one Broadbill.

Al%20McCormick%207%20-%20CARD%20-%20SMALL_zpstrjhbfl8.jpg

Here is a McCormick Broadbill. I do not know what the standard McCormick paint looked like on this species. (Please send photos if you have some.)

4%20McC%20original%20recipe_zpsj4735nd5.jpg

These birds came to me in different stages of readiness. Four were sealed and primed, ready for finish paint. One other just needed a prime coat. The last needed filling, sealing and priming.

3%20Six%20BEFORE%20Pyramid%20A_zps2xgqsixg.jpg

Here is a pair of the finished birds.

6%20PAIR%20tipped%20toward%20camera_zpskkgqtgqt.jpg

5%20McC%20pair%20auto%20brightness_zps9xfkjmpk.jpg

The eyes are just painted on. I almost wish I had kept them off - just Black and Brown heads.

7%20McC%20Drake%20bill_zpstschejgt.jpg

The back was stippled: A base of Pale Grey (Behr Elephant Skin) then Black then White. I made the back "breeding season bright" - not the darker tone you'd see earlier in the season.

8%20McC%20Drake%20back_zpsevrvzhcb.jpg

9%20McC%20Hen%20closeup_zps0ff5kjlj.jpg

I wrestled with how much detail to put in the paint on these birds. So many true gunning Broadbill never used more than Black, Brown and White - with a bit of Grey for the bill and often not even a painted eye.

10%20McC%20Hen%20back_zpsivqohzqs.jpg

Note how Al liked the flat keel - even on divers which would not "ground out" on a low tide. It certainly helped to support and protect the fairly fragile cork.

11%20McC%20Hen%20bottom_zpscphb6rwe.jpg

These migrate back to Great South Bay later this week.

12%20Six%20AFTER_zpsm9v5bji9.jpg

Finally, I must say I enjoyed the opportunity to look carefully at some McCormick Broadbill. I really admire the birds and think they are excellent gunners.

All the best,

SJS

Steve, you beat me to it! Haha. Very nice birds.

Even though the bottom of this bird is burned as completed in April-- I just got in under the radar on it-- I didn't scratch the eyes off until this morning. Another color version of the redhead hen. I believe I'm starting to build up a small rig of these that represent the different colors they lean to.

IMG_3701.jpg

IMG_3692.jpg

IMG_3699.jpg

IMG_3700.jpg

Great decoys guys...Like the artistic approach Dave. Hen's are always tough for me.

Here's the Wood Duck I posted a while back. All dressed up now.

WD-1601-7_zpsofirhuue.jpg

WD-1601-10_zpsw9fbwm84.jpg

WD-1601-6_zpsbqi3xbcq.jpg

Chopped these guys out and finished them this weekend. It actually takes a few weeks to do all the antiquing/aging process. Lee Dudley is my favorite old school carver and the history behind his work is pretty interesting. I know a collector that has most of his original birds and he was gracious enough to let me come by and photograph and measure all of his Dudley's...had to sign in blood I wouldn't do any exact copies...but these are all but there.

Steve,
Way over painted for Al's style. Hens had a white patch low on the sides. Would almost be underwater when floating. Drakes had higher white sides with a dry brush of white just dragged across the top of the body to give the impression of vermiculation. Crude but effective. And of course he just did a yellow dot for eyes. "When the ducks see that there are no eyes it is too late."

Joe

Geoff would you mind telling me how you get the back painted? I did a few woodies and could figure everything else out but the back.

They look great!

Good morning, Joe~

Thanks very much!

Looks like that one Drake I have is Original McCormick paint.

All the best,

SJS

Nice contribution this month Steve. It was June that I reserved (and it was tongue in cheek, but maybe I'll have something to share... maybe...). Lot of projects, but not duck related.

When the paint was fresh the back dry brushing was more distinct. It is thin and wears off quickly. Incidentally, Al use Benjamin Moore Exterior Flat Oil based paint. Which is no longer manufactured due to VOC contents. That was durable when applied normally as you can see from the condition of your drake.

Joe

Steve - What a wonderful post! I appreciate you sharing Mr. McCormick's legacy with the rest of us.
Others - Thank you for sharing your exceptional work! Keep up the good work! Pat

Steve, As you know I often check duckboats and enjoy the posting and discussions, but this one was a surprise, beyond my expectations. I can't wait for the migration.
Your friend from Long Island.

Last edited:
Frank~

Glad you like them! It's always fun to spring finished products on The Unsuspecting.....

All the best,

SJS

Steve's paint technique really brings out just well shaped Al McCormick's patterns were. I asked Al once how he came up with them and he said, "Just trial and error." The "trial and error" development on Al's patterns was derived over 50 plus years and many thousands of decoys. He said he made over 5000 decoys but I think the number was closer to 10,000.

Joe

Jode the turkey turtles are pretty cool. I really like the blue claw in the sea clam shell.

there have been 2 sightings of keeper blue crabs here (in my friend circle), but it is still a month out before i even think about it. anything going on down there?

Thanks Chris, yea I like my calls to be out of the ordinary, the blue crab slate sounded great too . Yes our crabs have started. It's on again off again, but catches of 3-4 dozen are pretty standard right now. I talked to a buddy yesterday that had 20 keepers from shore on Saturday, among them a fat 7.25."

I'm in the midst of changing over my line from topless cages to perfectionist rings. There. Great trap, but it takes an hour plus to assemble one even after the parts are cut. Hopefully the weather breaks and I can get out soon.

Last edited:
Back