Mighty Layout Boys products back in production

Wow. Dan i would love to hear about this boat. I have concerns with the huge keel down the middle and shallow water. Anyway if you find a mintue free and would like to discuss the boat and any thing you thi k would be of value to building tbem it would be greatly appriciated.

Tony

I have a MLB Zack Taylor Wigeon. I really love the boat; however, I would like a thicker hull.

I've often said this would be the perfect boat if it was made out of .100" aluminum.
ZackTaylorWidgeon_zps5f5f2b02.jpg
[/URL]

Tony

I have a MLB Zack Taylor Wigeon. I really love the boat; however, I would like a thicker hull.

I've often said this would be the perfect boat if it was made out of .100" aluminum.
ZackTaylorWidgeon_zps5f5f2b02.jpg
[/URL]
Fred, The boat pictures appears to be the boat that is much like a Higbee not a Zack Taylor Wigeon. Yes they did build a set of Higbee molds that they never really named as a model for the line up of boats. And i may be wrong but that isn't a Zach Taylor Wigeon. Its either that or the Chuck Huff with the low deck. How long is the boat? 12ft its Higbee style 14ft is Huff model.

To answer your questions and concerns the hull thickness isn't a problem but more importantly building it using the proper materials to generate strength and minimum flex is the answer for boat hulls thats going to be under power and we can do that. Here is a video clip of a new MLB classic we just finished that has no interior support structure or floatation yet and notice how I can stand on the deck right directly over the cockpit with ease.

https://youtu.be/Fb6J1V4Zoo4

Last edited:
I agree with Tony, that doesn't look like a Zack Taylor to me. A relative had a MLB ZTW and I built one. The ZTW has shear sides and removable decoy racks/motor mount. The decoy racks remind me of the Chuck Huff, but other parts don't look right for the Huff

I agree with Tony, that doesn't look like a Zack Taylor to me. A relative had a MLB ZTW and I built one. The ZTW has shear sides and removable decoy racks/motor mount. The decoy racks remind me of the Chuck Huff, but other parts don't look right for the Huff
Im fairly positive its the MLB version of the Higbee. We have the molds and a boat that I believe they built from the molds. Great 12ft boat. A smaller version of the Huff.

Here is a shot of it.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11940334_1020269761346235_1683070727355503172_n.jpg?oh=395beda62e27b7573a53085cc05866eb&oe=5667E40E

Last edited:
Im fairly positive its the MLB version of the Higbee. We have the molds and a boat that I believe they built from the molds. Great 12ft boat. A smaller version of the Huff.

Here is a shot of it.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11940334_1020269761346235_1683070727355503172_n.jpg?oh=395beda62e27b7573a53085cc05866eb&oe=5667E40E

Thank you Tony for helping me figure out exactly what I have !

It measures 11'-6" bow to stern. The boat you posted is exactly what I have. Yes, it is a great little boat ! !

I bought the boat from a guy in Warsaw, Indiana named Ty Koon, whose wifes' father was somehow involved in Marks operation. I can't remember exactly how or what role he played in the operation. I do remember Ty saying that he got the family discount on the boat. Ty did say it was a Wigeon but it never really fit what I saw with other Wigeons.

Tony, I'd say this boat would be a winner if you put it into production. A good solid ride that I've been running a 5 hp on; however, I'm going to try it with a 2 hp Yamaha this year to eliminate the need for the fuel tank on board. I really don't think it will lose any speed as I see it as a displacement hull anyway. I should know more this week.

Fred

Here is a shot of it.

Thank you Tony for helping me figure out exactly what I have !

It measures 11'-6" bow to stern. The boat you posted is exactly what I have. Yes, it is a great little boat ! !

I bought the boat from a guy in Warsaw, Indiana named Ty Koon, whose wifes' father was somehow involved in Marks operation. I can't remember exactly how or what role he played in the operation. I do remember Ty saying that he got the family discount on the boat. Ty did say it was a Wigeon but it never really fit what I saw with other Wigeons.

Tony, I'd say this boat would be a winner if you put it into production. A good solid ride that I've been running a 5 hp on; however, I'm going to try it with a 2 hp Yamaha this year to eliminate the need for the fuel tank on board. I really don't think it will lose any speed as I see it as a displacement hull anyway. I should know more this week.

Fred

Fred, no problem. Yes, thats the 12ft Higbee boat. And a great boat design it is(been around for a long long time on the east coast) and we will be putting it back into production. I dont believe this boat ever made production because if the USCG rating process. It wont rate for much HP and or capacity but should be a perfect 1 person 5hp motor boat which will get enough capacity that way for 1 person no problem.

Mike-

Thanks for posting those photos. That is a pretty neat looking boat. Very low profile. I wonder what the draft is. The stats claim the boat is 28" tall to the top of the cockpit combing. The boat sure looks lower than that on the water. For a multi-hunter rig, I think I would want a little more side on that boat. It looks like things could get dicey pretty quick in rough conditions.

Perhaps that is something Tony will take a look into when getting the molds back together to see the boat build process.

I would love to hear some stories from guys that have one of the three hulls. I would be interested in hearing how the boat performs and how they hunt out of it, (ie, low side blind with an open top or something like what appears to be on this boat).

Again, thanks for posting the photos.

Chad A

That boat is way over powered. The test results were 45hp. they have a 50 4 stroke and a kicker hanging on the back of it. Sits way to low. to much weight hanging off the back of that boat. This boat could be rated at no more than a 35 and still run like crazy. That would lift it back out of the water to ride much higher. Guys have to remember testing is done based off the weight of a 2 stroke motor. And a 50hp 2 stroke and 4 stroke is a huge difference in weight. Way to much weight hanging on this one for its tested rating of 45hp. With today's motors all be 4 strokes its best to derate the HP to adjust for the motor weights on smaller boats like these that don't have 20" transoms and short sides.

Great photos of it and it appears to be one of the 2 they sent for testing. the first one failed USCG testing as it was alot heavier than the second boat and couldn't meet there goals for capacity and HP The first tested boat weighed 539lbs and the second one 384lbs. The second boat which passed for their test goals looks alot like the boat in these photos. The double bow lights on it. Thinking ahead I believe this boat with some testing can be a super boat. I would like to see molded in decoy racks like the huff down the sides and remove the deep keel off the hull. But again its way to early to tell until I can build one and see what weights we get and do some testing ourselves. I'll get to the photo's of the 2 boats i have photos of when time permits. lunch break and headed back to the shop now.

Last edited:
My impression when riding in the boat was that it could handle very rough water.

There is a fair amount of rake in the stern, much like the widgeon, so it is not riding as heavy in the back as it appears even with all that motor weight.
They brought out an MLB classic tied on top of the bow with two men in the
cockpit and it was a dry ride even with a good chop.

That boat is way over powered. The test results were 45hp. they have a 50 4 stroke and a kicker hanging on the back of it. Sits way to low. to much weight hanging off the back of that boat.

That was my first thought when looking at the pics.

That boat is way over powered. The test results were 45hp. they have a 50 4 stroke and a kicker hanging on the back of it. Sits way to low. to much weight hanging off the back of that boat.

That was my first thought when looking at the pics.
Definately to much weight by about 200lbs. that motor weights around 260lbs. the 45hp 2 stroke around 160. Not including the tiller weight. 200lbs on a this boat will make a huge difference in how low it sits in the water. That boat has to be drafting over a foot of water sitting still due to the depth of the keel down the hull at the transom. More than half the transom is under water and that is way to much. Working on a couple pics now.

Great boat, just gotta work the kinks out and set it up properly.

Back