Monday, Monday...

MLBob Furia

Hung around all Thanksgiving weekend since the kiddos were home from school, plus I now have the luxury of avoiding the weekend.
But I penciled in today knowing most would be back to work. Enjoyed a leisurely breakfast, and still had the slough to myself.

The decoys looked a bit surreal. Thought this was a neat shot:

View attachment Blackduckday1110 002 (600 x 348).jpg

Woodie hen decoy set off to the side:

View attachment Blackduckday1110 003 (600 x 384).jpg

Watched about 30 turkeys fly across from a harvested cornfield; then wade the shallows to the bank:

View attachment Blackduckday1110 021 (600 x 357).jpg

Sadie was her reliable self:

View attachment Blackduckday1110 011 (600 x 395).jpg

This blackduck pickleweed got baptized when a group of eight blacks dropped in - I rarely see a group of exclusively blackducks in those numbers, as the norm is one or two mixed in with a group of mallards or perhaps a loner or pair:

View attachment Blackduckday1110 039 (600 x 384).jpg

More rain tonight & tomorrow - supposed to be heavy, and we sure can use more of what pelted us at Thanksgiving. Now we need some colder temps to push down.

Bob,
you know how much I like the decoys and that pickle weed black duck would work wonders up here in NE,
but I am a dog guy and Sadie sure is one good looking pup.

Glad you got out and had a chance to share a few pictures.
Makes the work day not quite so hard to endure right now.

I forgot to mention this in that first reply of mine, Bob. Another reason I like your decoys so much is that you have each of your birds with a slightly different pose. That is just what you see when you look at a bunch of ducks swimming around. They are all different and you have duplicated that so well.

One last thing-----those black ducks sure are beautiful! While growing up in Ortonville, MN, back in the 50's, I only saw one while hunting. My buddy and I couldn't believe our eyes! When living in Wisconsin, I never saw one to shoot.
Al

Al,

One thing I should mention is that the surface of the pocket I was set up in was smooth as glass most of the morning. Seeing that, I re-set one of my mallard decoys on the jerk-line rig that I keep stowed in the boat, just waiting to be used under conditions like that.

When those blacks made their appearance, they were looking to sit down out in the main channel beyond the tree line ringing my cove. When they'd start down I'd call at them and they'd raise back up each time, but I have to think it was seeing the movement of the decoy on the jerk string that eventually sealed the deal.

WOW, what a rig to hunt over.......beautifal work Bob!!!

The last black duck picture should be framed......I can see that shot in DU magazine.

Jim/Fowlfishing

Back