Mt. Clemens Decoy Legacy... (Repost for new members)

Pat Thankyou so much to give your time to show us some of the history in the waterfowling world, those pictures are truly outstanding!

I was just sitting around with my dad and doing some decoy research when we came across this post.
Very entertaining! Thank you for posting.

My father new all these guys. He is maybe a generation younger, but he and my uncle grew up in St Clair Shores and Algonac, and guided on Lake St Clair and the flats for many years in the '60s. Mostly sneak and layout shooting.

He says that both the tender and the sneak boat were built by Kelson. He remembers both boats well. I think the last time he saw the tender was at Kelson's house on the Clinton River.

Interesting that the sneak doesn't have a motor mount. Also, notice how low the gunwales of the sneak boat are to the water. The shear dips dramatically amidships. All these sneak boat builders like Mylie Smith and Pecor Fox "competed" and stole/shared ideas, of course. Dad says Pecor lifted some of his design from Kelson. Not sure if this part is entirely true so don't quote me, but makes for colorful tales in front of the fire.

That drake Can is one of the finest decoys I have ever seen. Simply beautiful.

Those are great pics from my old stomping grounds, the St. Clair Flats.

Those boys and Gordon McQuarrie could have sold tickets if they ever sat down together.

Larry

Pat, thanks for sharing these old pictures. I rarely see sneak boats discussed online. By sneak boats, I'm talking about double-ended open water sneak boats, as were used on the great lakes, and of which you show a great example in your pictures. They were very popular here during the first half of the last century. Layout boats pretty much replaced them as the primary means of open water hunting around here (Lake St. Clair - Detroit River - Lake Erie). I came late to the sneak hunting game, but it now accounts for nearly all the hunting I do. I love the old, traditionally built boats and the different approaches to their design and construction. I can't look at a sneak boat without wanting badly to take it out on the lake and hunt with it. They are not all the same, by a long shot. Each design has its own "personality" in terms of how it paddles, rows, runs under power, handles rough water, etc. Also, a boat's motion in the water is a big factor for me because on a rough day, a gentler motion leaves me feeling less beat up after a few hours on the lake. Time, storage space, and money limits the number of boats I can keep, but if that weren't the case, I'd have the world's biggest collection of sneak boats. Anyway, I appreciate the local history showing up here with some great photos. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Gordon, idk where you?re located but as far as I know there?s a double ender for sale still in flatrock for like $350 with a trailer. I?ll see if I can cruise by it at work tomorrow and get pictures. Sorry not trying to cereal this old thread. Also the giant tender(assuming a Chris craft) is amazing.

Tony Hall

Gordon Bartlett said:
Pat, thanks for sharing these old pictures. I rarely see sneak boats discussed online. By sneak boats, I'm talking about double-ended open water sneak boats, as were used on the great lakes, and of which you show a great example in your pictures. They were very popular here during the first half of the last century. Layout boats pretty much replaced them as the primary means of open water hunting around here (Lake St. Clair - Detroit River - Lake Erie). I came late to the sneak hunting game, but it now accounts for nearly all the hunting I do. I love the old, traditionally built boats and the different approaches to their design and construction. I can't look at a sneak boat without wanting badly to take it out on the lake and hunt with it. They are not all the same, by a long shot. Each design has its own "personality" in terms of how it paddles, rows, runs under power, handles rough water, etc. Also, a boat's motion in the water is a big factor for me because on a rough day, a gentler motion leaves me feeling less beat up after a few hours on the lake. Time, storage space, and money limits the number of boats I can keep, but if that weren't the case, I'd have the world's biggest collection of sneak boats. Anyway, I appreciate the local history showing up here with some great photos. Thanks again.

Gordon not sure where you?re located, but as far as I know there?

Thanks Tony. I appreciate the heads-up, but I just can't bring another boat home right now. First, I don't have any more room in the pole barn, and traditional wooden boats don't last long if left outside. Second, until I retire, I just don't have the time it takes to maintain any more old wooden boats. They're sure not like aluminum or fiberglass boats. The normal swelling/shrinking cycle takes its toll on the paint and caulk, requiring attention every few years. That's not so much the case with boats that are left in storage year-round, but boats that are hunted are put through the swell/shrink cycle each season. I'm already struggling to stay on top of the maintenance of the ones I already have. Anyway, if you have the opportunity, I sure would like to see a picture of the boat you're talking about. Any idea who made it? I never get tired of them. Oh, by the way, I'm in Armada Township.

Last edited:
Gordon Bartlett said:
Thanks Tony. I appreciate the heads-up, but I just can't bring another boat home right now. First, I don't have any more room in the pole barn, and traditional wooden boats don't last long if left outside. Second, until I retire, I just don't have the time it takes to maintain any more old wooden boats. They're sure not like aluminum or fiberglass boats. The normal swelling/shrinking cycle takes its toll on the paint and caulk, requiring attention every few years. That's not so much the case with boats that are left in storage year-round, but boats that are hunted are put through the swell/shrink cycle each season. I'm already struggling to stay on top of the maintenance of the ones I already have. Anyway, if you have the opportunity, I sure would like to see a picture of the boat you're talking about. Any idea who made it? I never get tired of them. Oh, by the way, I'm in Armada Township.

Well naturally I drove by today, and it?s gone! Also just re looked at the pictures posted, this was a higher lapstrake hull. Sorry I was mistaken in your choice. I think it was actually a glass boat, it was smooth inside(well driving by at 45)

Tony

Back