Mud Box - maiden voyage

Tom Kelly

It took about three seconds for me to say " I should have built one of these years ago".
One of the areas we hunt is a salt water tidal flat with little or no cover. These simple boxes were the answer.
Easy to put together and cheap to build- I have maybe 4-5 hours and $40 into each one.
The only down side is that now I am hooked- I can't get the thought of building a real duck boat out of my head. I know its only a matter of time before I jump in with both feet. Thanks to this site and the many great builds that are posted here- it helps keep my addiction going.
Hope you all had a great weekend.

Simple mud boxes ready for grass.
001-1.jpg

Hunting the incoming tide- low profile and easy to hide. Comfortabe enough to catch a cat nap between flights
DSC06762.jpg

First bird down
DSC06766.jpg

I love my job
DSC06767.jpg

GW Teal- My dog always gets the the teal breasts with his supper on hunt days.
DSC06769.jpg

The rest of the days bag
DSC06782.jpg

The only down side is that now I am hooked- I can't get the thought of building a real duck boat out of my head. I know its only a matter of time before I jump in with both feet.
DSC06762.jpg
Despite their size those are duck boats, just really small. You're already wet, so just jump already.

Do you have any plans for those? They look like they would work great for inexpensive field layout blinds.

Thanks

Those are awesome Tom!!! And to think, some people pay $200+ for a layout blind and another $100+ for the neoprene cover!!!! Now your ready to build a bigger one!

Do you have any plans for those? They look like they would work great for inexpensive field layout blinds.

Thanks

google Sanford Gunning Box plans and you will find the NJWA plans for a Sanford style box.

Tom's mud boxes are even simpler and plans aren't required. The photo pretty much tells all.

Back