My 73rd year hunting opening duck season

wis boz

Well, it's actually not 73 years. Subtract 3years of WW II but wait, I did fire a carbine at a duck flying off the end of our runway in Yangkai, China 1945. Checking my "to do list" prior to heading for my son's cabin for the Northern Wis duck opening, I just realized how long it has been. How the years have flown by. My dad had me hunting the Mississippi as a tenager. At age 15 we both survived the 1940 Armistice Day storm on the Mississippi out of LaCrosse. The only two able to get out in our area South of Goose Island that day. Shot gun shells then were made of paper, all duck boats, for the most part were made of marine plywood, our clothes were cotton and wool, our hip boots were black: fiber glass, plastics were yet to be born. Our duck boxes were made of wood covered with painted canvas (I still have mine). We did have thermos but not as good as todays. We always had a one burner stove where every hunter would add something to the stew we cooked in the blind. My son whom I will join this weekend shot his first duck at Bloody Lake just west of Monroe back in the late 50's has continued the tradition with his son joining us when he could. Bye the way, Bloody Lake, was named after an Indian battle between several small tribes. To this day a rendezvous is held there yearly. I'd better get back to my "to do" list. My son and I will duck hunt in the morning and bow hunt deer in the late afternoon so the packing breaks down into two separate packs.
So enough of this "remembering"---although it will be the 73rd year of opening duck season for me, the thrill of that rising sun on that day never is diminished. Thanks for staying this long and happy hunting to all those going out this weekend.
wis boz

Well, it's actually not 73 years. Subtract 3years of WW II but wait, I did fire a carbine at a duck flying off the end of our runway in Yangkai, China 1945. Checking my "to do list" prior to heading for my son's cabin for the Northern Wis duck opening, I just realized how long it has been. How the years have flown by. My dad had me hunting the Mississippi as a tenager. At age 15 we both survived the 1940 Armistice Day storm on the Mississippi out of LaCrosse. The only two able to get out in our area South of Goose Island that day. Shot gun shells then were made of paper, all duck boats, for the most part were made of marine plywood, our clothes were cotton and wool, our hip boots were black: fiber glass, plastics were yet to be born. Our duck boxes were made of wood covered with painted canvas (I still have mine). We did have thermos but not as good as todays. We always had a one burner stove where every hunter would add something to the stew we cooked in the blind. My son whom I will join this weekend shot his first duck at Bloody Lake just west of Monroe back in the late 50's has continued the tradition with his son joining us when he could. Bye the way, Bloody Lake, was named after an Indian battle between several small tribes. To this day a rendezvous is held there yearly. I'd better get back to my "to do" list. My son and I will duck hunt in the morning and bow hunt deer in the late afternoon so the packing breaks down into two separate packs.
So enough of this "remembering"---although it will be the 73rd year of opening duck season for me, the thrill of that rising sun on that day never is diminished. Thanks for staying this long and happy hunting to all those going out this weekend.
wis boz

Jim, thanks for doing your remembering out loud!

Best of luck up nort'

T

Last edited:
Jim , That makes my 49 years seem like a blink of an eye. Lots of memories that all seem to jumble together, funny thing how they seem to overlap. Many buddies and dogs who are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge. My brother called last night to say he hadn't seen a duck all fall but it doesn't matter to me. Hope to roll early tomorrow, just me and Booker. Good luck to all opening this weekend and be safe out there. Thanks for the memories, those stories are priceless. Good luck Jim to you and yours. Enough rambling here too, got to finish packing.

Jim,
I always enjoy your posts. Many thanks for them. I wish you good luck and much siccess on your season opener this year.
Be safe.

Best,
Brian F.

Congratulations! You've certainly seen a lot of innovations and fads come and go. That armistice day tragedy is unbelievable. Every time there is a powerful cold front moving through I think about the horror and misery that must have been experienced. Something we all should reflect upon anytime we think an accident can't happen to us.

wis boz

Hey, Jim, you were hunting before I was born! Geez that makes me but a mere kid! Best of luck to you and Jim Jr. on your opener. I'll be looking forward to pictures of the hunt and of course a story. Be safe.
By the way, I think anyone would consider you being involved in duck hunting especially firing your carbine at a duck at the end of the runway in China. Loved that one.
Al

Wiz,
Thanks for the memories.
I turned 70 this year and am not ready to give up just yet,looking forward to this season which will include waterfowl,deer and pheasant. The kill is not nearly as important as the doing as a matter of fact i get just as much enjoyment out of "food plotting" as hunting.
Got off subject,my mind wanders. I remember the black rubber hip boots bought a size large to accomodate two pair of wool socks,the red and black wool shirts, the canvas rubber canvas hodgman camo rain gear that lasted 2 seasons if you were lucky. I remember the winchester #5 red paper super x shells and the solid wood factory decoys that had to be countered weighted to float on even keel, i remember when a 10 hp johnson was a "big" motor. And yes i still have my pine and marine plywood canvas covered duck boat and a 40 year old "jones" hat that come to think it i will wear on this years late season opener.
Best of luck,Bill.

Good luck hunting Jim. I am still a kid. I only hunted sixty four years. I will try to catch up. A lot of water has flowed down the river where I hunt over the years. A place I use to paddle a canoe hunting ducks has one house after another. A lot has changed but not the sunrises in the blind. They are as beautiful as ever.

Pete

Tod
I guess a sign of age? You certaintly are building memories with your boy.
Jim

Last edited:
Hello Jim and good luck!!! Lots of BWT up here right now. I hope you do great. be sure to post about your experience.

Did you boy ever make it out on the bay? I always wondered if he ever gave it a try. The DNR is putting in barrier islands right now in the south bay so in a few years when they are done and the cattails get a chance to take off it should be heaven for the ducks like back in the old days.

Take care, thanks for posting!! Good luck on both ducks and deer.

Good luck to you and Jim Jr. Hope to read of a banner opener for your guys.

wis boz

First ....THANK YOU for your service and I hope you get to see many more opening days Sir.

Back