My neighbors new boat, you will not believe this one

John L

I have a neighbor that has been interested in hunting waterfowl and fishing. He mentioned to me that he was going to buy a small boat. When we spoke about boats and horse power rating I told him most boats have a USCG plaque on the boat that states how much horse power, persons and weight the boat can handle. What I didn't know was that I should have explained in more detail what exactly that means.

So I come home from work today and I see this Lowe aluminum boat on a trailer. He has it set up with the max hp rated for the boat. What I did see at first was how he set it up.

I think he was a little confused about how to achieve the maximum hp and decided to do it in an unconventional manner.

This is not a joke or a photoshoped picture. This is how he actually set the boat up.

I think I will go talk to him tomorrow and explain in more detail what I was talking about.

>
>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I think I will go talk to him tomorrow and explain in more detail what I was talking about.

You're right, he really should have had long shafts on the port and starboard engine.

That looks like a boat Tom Scholberg might need. In case one motor falls off and sinks to the bottom of the lake, he will still have a spare. This is a great picture, thanks for sharing.

Mark

when i was little there were still quite a lot of crabbing skiffs setup around here with dual tiller 15's and dual 25's. They were carryover from the days when larger horsepower motors were either unavailable or unreliable. Plus if you had a problem you could always jack one up and role on home.

Reminds me of the fishing boats I saw in Aruba. Even the new, larger f/g 20+ footers have dual tiller outboards ( e.g. two 40's) with no linkage. Apparently they steer with one motor and the other just follows along due to the flow of water. I checked online and this is not rare in the Caribean - the skipper just stands between the motors, he can reach both throttles as needed

I was thinking of trying the idea sometime on my 12" Springbok tinny with a pair of Johnson 3's, but I have a GO-Devil 6.5 hp on it for now.
Has anyone else tried twin tiller o/b's without any linkage?

He's going to get a mean backhand from yanking on those starter lines.

I hope it is a shallow body of water, and a forgiving day when he gets it in the water.

Mark, You did see that my duck boat trailer does have two spare tires and I do carry a spare lower unit but I really don't need two spare motors, maybe just one. ;<o

Back