NDR Boundary Waters

I too love the BWC and have been there more than a few times. I do have some questions.

1. Years before, the mercury found around the area was found to be from power plants, same with acid rain so to say the mercury is from a mine I don't think can be said to be the only source.
2. People in northern Minnesota (especially the iron range area) are hurting for jobs. The old taconite mines open and close on a whim (my opinion) based upon many factors, the major one being the politicians mucking around with regulations that make it uneconomical to continue mining. Enter a new group of legislators, with new lobbyists and the regs change again and mining starts up. And I'm not just talking about MN legislators, just as much Fed's as well. Put a tariff on Chinese solar panels and the Chinese put a tariff on US made steel which shuts down US steel production which then shuts down taconite mining. Thousands are laid off.
3, I've been to many mines around the world. Some are bad, some are real bad. Some are not. Unfortunately the world needs products that are mined. Where will the supply of copper come from in the future? Most comes from Chile (used to be 38% of the world's copper usage - not sure now). Chinese were buying up every pound of produced copper which drove up the prices to unsustainable levels. I was down at the Chilean mines when there was a worldwide copper shortage. Their government was so corrupt that they would not allow new water wells to be drilled for a new mine site without big bribes being paid. Mining companies started pumping water in from the coast near Antofagasta 100's of miles away. Had to build desalination plants near the oceans to supply the water. All added cost to the copper. All due to politicians getting in the way (and corruption). So does the world rely on Chile to supply its copper needs or do new places where there is copper need to be found? It is a trade off I realize. Oh, many of these Chilean copper mines were well run with good records. The leach piles could be messy but if built properly, worked well and did not pollute. They are going to be there for all of eternity no doubt and IMO rather ugly. They are a pretty color of turquoise though.

So, where do you draw the line? The proposed, and approved mines are outside the BWC. So how far away from the BWC do you limit any mining activity?

Another example. While the SEMOLMD (Southeast Missouri Led Mining District) has had many problems (waste, tailing ponds, etc...), at one time it was the largest lead producer in the world. The methodology of getting "the lead out" of the rock has changed over the years with the most recent being chemical flotation. The mined material would get crushed at the mine site (some of it underground and a sight to be seen) and then through several processes where the last step would float the lead in a chemical sludge. The sludge was scraped of and then loaded into trucks to be trucked over 100 miles away to the Herculaneum smelter. Smelting of lead is not exactly a clean process but Doe Run (lead mining company that owned the smelter) had spent millions of dollars to continually upgrade the smelter to meet ever demanding regulations. At the same time, they were investing millions of dollars in a totally new process to refine the lead that utilized electro winning processes instead of heat (cleaner process). It was an expensive process but very promising. Doe Run discontinued the research due to expense and from environmentalists who wouldn't allow it as they only saw it as bad because it was still lead. We lose.

Doe Run was forced to shut down it's smelting operations when it could no longer economically smelt lead. It was the last primary smelter in the US. The lead concentrate from the Missouri mines is now trucked to a port, loaded onto ships and shipped to China which smelts the lead we consume. While many applications can use recycled lead, many cannot. We now rely on China to provide us our primary lead. Wouldn't be hard for China to shut down its shipments of lead to the US as it has done to several vital raw materials already. So we are at the whim of the Chinese for a vital raw material - again. I can foresee in the near term the environmentalists going after secondary lead recyclers as the process to recover lead is not exactly pretty and clean either. Once the secondary lead producers are shut down, the US will no longer be able to supply it's needs.

Anyway, a long ramble. Please realize I am not saying that mining near the BWC is a good thing, I'm just trying to point out that we can't have it both ways. If we want to continue to live the way we do, we can't rely on unstable parts of the world to become the only suppliers of these vital raw materials and finished products. We can't be completely "green" and be safe and secure at the same time.

Off the soapbox.

Mark

Last edited:
Tough issues indeed.

We cant go back to the 50s & 60s with the horrible pollution and its human and environmental impacts.
But we cant regulate ourselves out of supplying the resources our society needs.
And moving the pollution problem to China isn't a real solution either.
The Chinese are at a tipping point (similar to where we were in the 50s and 60s.) Their growing middle and upper-middle class wont stand for the levels of pollution they have much longer and the government knows it. They also are coming to realize they have a serious problem with potable water supply.

No easy answers.

Tough issues indeed.

We cant go back to the 50s & 60s with the horrible pollution and its human and environmental impacts.
But we cant regulate ourselves out of supplying the resources our society needs.
And moving the pollution problem to China isn't a real solution either.
The Chinese are at a tipping point (similar to where we were in the 50s and 60s.) Their growing middle and upper-middle class wont stand for the levels of pollution they have much longer and the government knows it. They also are coming to realize they have a serious problem with potable water supply.

No easy answers.

I'd like to believe there is middle ground. Business has to realize that it can't keep doing things the old way and the environmentalist have to realize that we can't live in the world we do today without some trade offs. Get some politicians into office with the balls to make these tough choices that will upset their constituency and potentially their livelihood and maybe good things can happen. One again, one guys opinion.

Should we discuss Global Warming again.......?

Mark

I illustrated the specific consequences of the U.P.'s lengthy mining history as an example of where regulations failed to protect the environment. The dry fallout input is automobile and coal fired powerplant related. Like the BWC waters our lakes and rivers consist of low carbonate:bicarbonate softwater systems. Per Dr. Kerfoot's data, the most marked interval of release of inorganic mercury to surface waters from non-ferrous mining activities was in the interval well after the mine was closed and the jobs were gone. These sites are being monitored and mitigated with taxpayer dollars.

Deer Lake's mercury contamination was documented to be dual source: 1.) The defunct Ropes Goldmine drainage. 2.) The Cleveland Cliffs Iron Mining Company's analysis l that dumped gallons of inorganic mercury down the sinks into Partridge Creek, with most of this accumulating in the old New York Mine's pit. Excess storm water was routed into this site, flowing eventually via Partridge Creek to Deer Lake.

CCI's Tilden Mine pit was also recently identified as the source of selenium elevations within the Escanaba River watershed, a blue ribbon trout stream that now has a fish consumption advisory based on concentrations in trout. CCI denied any responsibility for groundwater depression in the Sands aquifer, in the interval post-identification of its overburden rock as the selenium source. Discharge in the outflow stream from Goose lake remained quite high while monitoring wells around the mine pit continued to record groundwater declines. MDE monitoring of selenium in overburden rock and on-site soils testing samples eventually indicated reductions in selenium levels...oddly followed by decreased flow rates in the Goose Lake discharge and a trend line change in groundwater levels in monitoring wells in that section of the Sands aquifer. There are more twists-and-turns associated with the findings of the Marquette County Board appointed task force assigned to develop a report on groundwater withdrawals within their jurisdiction, but I think you get the broad gist...

Reserve Mining closed its doors AFTER the EPA finally levied a punitive fine for issues related to tailings spills from its taconite processing plants. Prior that point, the fines levied were largely viewed as the cost of doing business, since they were less than the net value of a couple of hours of production. There is a layer of asbestos fibers that extends from Duluth to the Keweenaw Peninsula in Lake Superior, that is a portion of the legacy of Reserve Mining.

https://www.minnpost.com/minnesota-history/2013/02/hard-fought-united-states-vs-reserve-mining-changed-environmentalism

China has a host of environmental issues. The most marked will be all the residual impacts of the complete rework of the Yangtze River. The second one will be the social unrest from the fallout of an entire working class having no social security network.

Specific to the Eagle Mine, they have one very big achilles heal, with roughly 104 tandem truck transits per day from the mine to their processing facility 40 miles distant. It is incumbent on their vehicle wash stations to work at roughly 95% plus efficiency. The water pressure necessary to wash a tandem mining truck down is far different than that used to spray down a 1/2 ton truck or passenger car without damaging it, yet all vehicles within the containment area must transit the same wash down line prior leaving the site. Now, add-in a U.P. winter climate cycle. While monitoring the water processing facility early-on in its operation, their environmental management officer told me they were using hydrochloric acid drip to control pH in their discharge water. Anyone with a working knowledge of chemistry knows that adding hydrochloric and any other strong acid to a water solution that is essentially distilled water can shift pH markedly with just a small overage in volume added. I asked her if they had considered simply blowing free carbon dioxide into their dishcarge stream prior pumping it to the infusion well field. The next month we were there to sample, I found out they finally switched because they could not easily adjust pH in their discharge stream. All the hydrochloric acid that they had stored on site had to be hauled away and accounted for vie EPA reporting forms. So, far that has been the extent on on-site discharge issues.

Last edited:
I'd like to thank everyone that took the time to check out the link and leave your opinion. Also thanks to Chuck for putting up the link when it didn't transfer when I originally posted.

Tom

I'd like to believe there is middle ground. Business has to realize that it can't keep doing things the old way and the environmentalist have to realize that we can't live in the world we do today without some trade offs. Get some politicians into office with the balls to make these tough choices that will upset their constituency and potentially their livelihood and maybe good things can happen. One again, one guys opinion.

Should we discuss Global Warming again.......?

Mark

This has been interesting to follow. Here in Maine we've been dealing with a proposal to change our mining laws and rules since 2012. While I'd like to think public policy is set by the kind of process Mark describes, what we actually saw here was a lot different. A last minute "emergency" bill was introduced by a company who wanted to develop a mine. The 20+ page bill was literally not published and available on the Legislature's website on the day of the public hearing for proposed new rules. The mining company showed up with an expert mining lawyer from Nevada and a mining engineer who was also from out of state. The bill included provisions that exempted mining from all other state regulations (no zoning, for example), allowed mining facilities including mine waste landfills in floodplains, and allowed unlimited contamination of groundwater within the mining area--which was defined very broadly.

That bill--with some changes--passed on 2012, and since then our state has been struggling to write new rules to issue mining permits. Those rules have been through our Board of Environmental Protection twice, and rejected by the state Legislature twice.

Round three will be this winter.

I have been told that one good example for development of mining rules for non-ferrous metals is a stakeholder process that the state of Michigan conducted some years ago. I'd be interested in RL's perspective on that.

http://www.michigan.gov/deq/0,4561,7-135-3311_4109_9846_30022-325789--,00.htm

Here is an overview of the formulation process.
Embedded in the page is a link to the document.

Adjunct information outlining Michigan's approach to oversight of non-ferrous mining:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/deq/ICC_Mining_Guidebook_final_6-17-13_429204_7.pdf

Last edited:
I wasn't going to bring this post back up but just today I received the information below. It seems to be difficult to have much input to these state Reps. unless you live in the state of Minnesota. So I posting this in hopes that all the guys on here that live in Minn. take the time to call and express your concern.

Congressman Rick Nolan just announced that he is asking the Trump Administration to reverse the two-year review of the Boundary Waters watershed and allow sulfide-ore copper mining without studying the risks to this world-class Wilderness.
Rep. Nolan's action is anti-Boundary Waters, anti-science, and anti-citizen and benefits a Chilean mining company at the risk of permanent major damage to the Boundary Waters and at the expense of many home-grown businesses.
Please call Rep. Nolan (202) 225-6211 and tell him why the Boundary Waters Wilderness is so important to you.
Then, call Minnesota Senators Amy Klobuchar (202) 224-3244 and Al Franken (202) 224-5641 and tell them to do everything they can to protect the Wilderness from these anti-BWCA attacks

Tom

I like the boundary waters and have taken several trips there but it's a far cry from pristine. Most of the lakes that have been tested for mercury have fish consumption advisories.

I understand that people from cities,or anywhere east of the Mississippi, perceive it as pristine wilderness but I see more people in the bwca than any other place I recreate.

Wilderness "protection" ends at boundary and most of us who live in northern Minnesota would like to see more opportunities for people to earn a decent living up here. There are more than enough environmental regulations to cripple our economy.

If you want to raise hell about protecting waters, there's plenty of opportunities in the agricultural sector, which your federally elected officials can influence via the usda, usace, and countless pieces of legislation.

The proof is all around us- agriculture and urbanization has completely destroyed waters and ecosystems yet the ecosystems that are logged and mined continue to exist in far better condition.

http://www.startribune.com/how-the-upper-mississippi-goes-from-pristine-to-polluted/411707016/

The story in the link pertains only to the Mississippi River but the lakes are the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand your point of view on job creation. On the north coast of Ohio a number of jobs were lost when commercial fishing was limited to the fish no one around here wants to eat so the sport fishing could greatly improve which brought people from out of the state along with there money improving the economy here. On the other side Canada allows commercial fishing by South American fishermen because they have vast areas of good fishing other then Lake Erie so they don't see the need to restrict commercial fishing. Fishermen in Ohio don't like that but we have to live with it. Don't get me wrong I have always liked Canadians as our family vacationed there along the Boundary waters for 25 years. We were up there before the BWCA was formed. There are certainly way more people going to the area then in the 60s when I first went up there but compared to anywhere in Ohio it is very remote. It all boils down to personal perspective. Some would say there are plenty of just as good of other areas to go in your state. Forming the BWCA eliminated jobs but in turn it created jobs by drawing out of state people and there money. Lake Erie has some of the best walleye fishing in the world and I personally want to see that protected. But with invasive fish getting into the great lakes this could be a thing of the past.

Tom

So, the BWC is no longer pristine, compromised by air borne mercury contaminants originating in metropolitan areas. We should encourage sulfide mining in the BWC watershed because of this, instead focusing our pollution abatement efforts in urban and agricultural areas( Here I thought that this was actually already occurring via EPA enacted restrictions, but I must have been mistaken.) where these amplified efforts will have greater returns, altering dry fallout contamination mercury rates in more remote, low population areas like the BWC, which would now be likely exposed to increased point sourced mercury release from sulfide mining activities within the BWC watershed.

Did I miss something along the way as I walked through your logic?

Hey, holt' on thar Baba Looey, it appears that much of that contaminant dry fallout is not domestically produced:

https://wisconsinacademy.org/blog/climate-energy/pan-seared-walleye-dash-pcbs-and-mercury

Whiskey is for drinking; Water is worth fighting over! - Mark Twain

Last edited:
Thank you all for your comments and the civilized discourse about the BWCA. There are some different perspectives that I had not considered before. I appreciate that on this site that contributors can disagree without name calling and angry rants.

Last edited:
Back