NDR - Hairwing flies

Gary Tanner

For those of you that fly fish, you might be interested in this new book, available next month via Amazon. I was very proud to be a part of the project:

Gary

Thanks, guys. It was a heck of a project. Mike Valla did ALL the heavy lifting, that's for sure. I just tied a bunch of flies.
Gary

Nice, Gary,

Black Bear Green Butt--that will bring back some memories from those who used to fish the Bangor Salmon Pool. Sadly, by the time I moved back to Maine and might have fished there, the salmon run was in such poor shape I didn't feel right about trying to stick a hook in one, and the Maine fishery has been completely closed for many years now.

I do love my bucktails for striper fishing. My go to flies are a bucktail Ray's Fly, and several variations on Joe Brooks blondes. Strangely, I almost never fish bucktails for trout, though I do a lot of streamer fishing.

I have a buddy who swears by "the original" Art Fllick blacknose dace: brown phase "black bear" over black bear over polar bear.

Thanks, guys. It was a heck of a project. Mike Valla did ALL the heavy lifting, that's for sure. I just tied a bunch of flies.
Gary

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

no slight meant Gary- just commenting on his works I have on the shelf so far (i think all of them )

Nicely done Gary. Might have to look that up. I don't head for the coasts much and I think it is about 8 years since I fished Alaska but you never know. Mostly tying elk hair caddis flies these days.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your contribution to this effort, Gary, I fish steelhead more than Atlantics, but I used to make a trip of two a year over to the St. Mary's River to fish the Canadian side for Atlantic salmon; the most fun you can have legally with a fly rod! Lake Superior State releases 11,000 smolts per year from their rearing facility.

Gary

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

no slight meant Gary- just commenting on his works I have on the shelf so far (i think all of them )
Absolutely no slight taken! Mike's books are outstanding. And thanks again everyone for the kind words.

Back