NDR: Hank Shaw - Buck, Buck, Moose....

Nate Grace

Hey folks,

You may remember Hank Shaw from a few years back. The duckboats.net gang was really instrumental in helping Hank's blog honestfood.net get some press/publicity. Hank has written two great books on wild foraging and wild game cookery. His last book, Duck, Duck, Goose is really great and is a good addition to any duck hunter's kitchen. Well, Hank is at it again with a new book for 2016 called Buck, Buck, Moose. You can check out the Kickstarter page here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hankshaw/buck-buck-moose-the-venison-cookbook. As part of the fundraising efforts, Hank is offering some pretty neat deals on the new book and some other items.

In addition, Hank will be doing another book tour across the U.S. to promote the book. If you live in or close to a city or town where Hank will be visiting, I really recommend that you swing by and have a beer with him. Heck....take him hunting or fishing! He's fun to talk to, down to earth, and knows a ton about wild food and cooking wild, tasty critters.

Thanks for reading.

Best,
Nate

Last edited:
My absolute favorite wild game recipe web site. I have made many dishes using Hank's recipes with universally rave reviews.

I have both of Hank's books and really enjoy them. There is quite a bit of information in those things than just recipes. On his tour for Duck, Duck, Goose, he made a stop in Philadelphia. I missed the opportunity to go, although I had discussed it as a night out with the Mrs. I am going to have to make it this time. Certainly have to take a look at the newest book offering as well.

Chad A

Cooked one of Hank's duck recipes last night--pan seared wood duck with a whiskey/maple/blueberry sauce. yum.

Is there a list of his tour sites? I'm guessing he'll make a stop in Maine given the heavy restaurant/foody scene in Portland and few other southern Maine towns, and I'd like to get to the event. I found his website for the venison book, but didn't see a calendar of appearances.

Considering how much meat is in my freezer after the past couple of hunts I figured I better get this book - ordered today.

Thanks guys for the positive response. I don't think Hank has an official list of 2016 book tour dates, but I assume it will be the same as other years. He will probably stop in at Craigie on Main again here in Boston as well as a bunch of New England cities/towns. I'll ask him and see what he says. If you know of a restaurant or spot that might be good for a book signing, shoot Hank an email through his website/blog. I'm sure he'll appreciate it.

Best,
Nate

Good News - Just got an email this morning that the Kickstarter Campaign has successfully raised the required funds to get this book published.

Pretty cool! Hank and Holly raised over $90K for the book. This means they will be able to print more copies and do a bit more PR and traveling to promote the book next year.

Like I said above, if Hank and Holly come to a city or town near you to do a book signing/dinner...take the time to get out and meet them. Have a beer or three, talk hunting and fishing, and enjor their company.

Best,
Nate

Back