NDR - Looking for OLD fence staples

Terry Desilets

I have a project going and I need about 200 fence staples. I'm looking for the old fashioned steel variety, not the newer galvanized ones. The idea is to artificially rust them to appear old and weathered. A customer wants 40 Branding Irons along with a nice display stand for each one. The base will be reclaimed barnwood and the support will be rusted barbwire. I need the staples to attach the barbwire to the base. This is a paying gig, so I'm looking to purchase, no donations. If anyone can help or steer me in the right direction, just send me an email terry@branding-irons.biz or call me 586.484.7713.

Many thanks in advance!

Rich:
That was my initial idea, but unfortunately, I live in the greater metropolitan Detroit area. Most of the stores we have available are of the "big box" variety and frankly, you don't see very many instances where these staples are used. I called around to some of the smaller hardware places, all that I have found in my search have been galvanized.

It would take me an hour or more to get out to the real county and then shop around for some old fashioned staples. I was just wondering if anyone had an old box stuffed in their shed.

Last edited:
I'll kept an eye on this. I don't believe I have any, but my Son-in-Law works in one of the largest Amish communities in the US. I would bet he could pick some up for me, (you).

Jon

Terry,

If you get desperate, muriatic acid will remove galvanizing off nuts and bolts for welding, I assume it would work well for staples and might speed up the rusting process.

Scott

If you don't find any near home, let me know. I've got a lot of rancher buddies and can make few calls and pretty sure I could find them as long as you're not in a huge hurry.

Let standard galvinised staples soak in straight white vinegar for a few days. It will remove galv. finish .When air hits them upon removal and rinse the rusting begins very quickly if exposed to weather. vinegar treatment will also work to remove rust if desired but recoating with finish quickly is paramount to advoid rerusting.

yeah, I would just de galvanize them, I have never seen, or knew of, any plain steel fence staples going back over 50 years.

It will no doubt be a PIA, but just get some steel rod and a pair of good cutters, and make them. Probably take you a couple hours or less.

Muratic Acid and some water. You can get it at any hardware store. You must always add the acid to the water. Don't know how big of parts you are doing but use a bucket and put some water in it and then about 1/4 cup of acid. It will all bubble off in a few seconds. You must rinse off the parts in hot water and baking soda or the acid will keep eating and it will rust real bad. Use rubber gloves and safety goggles and be carefull

Back