NDR-Moving to Charlotte, NC, any Carvers?

Kristan

Since being laid off in the oil and gas in early April I have been blessed with finding a job in the Charlotte, NC area. Am wondering if any carvers on the sight live in the area? I will be moved the first of July. Looking forward to the new opportunity/adventures with the trout streams to the north west and the coast not too far to the east.

Regards,
Kristan

No help for you, but good to hear you have got a new job. Nothing like a move and a new place to make for a fun/interesting few years.

Sorry no help here either but you're going to be familiar with a lot of hunting area before your career(s) is over :)

Off topic but have you ever considered the Huntsville area and becoming a lowly goverment (DoD or NASA) contractor? You can't throw a stick in this town without hitting one engineer and another on the ricochet but that just means there are lots of opportunities for employment.

I'm 4 hours to the east. I do make a few decoys to hunt over, but calling myself a carver might be a stretch. Check out the core sound decoy guild. http://decoyguild.com/ It's a long drive but a great group. I bet they know a few from the Charlotte area. They host the core sound decoy festival in December. If you make it down there check out the core sound waterfowl museum. I have some family from the area. Let me know if You have any more?'s

Hi Kristan
You might try reaching out to KeithH...he lives in Locust which is just to the East of Charlotte. Keith has posted some of his work on the Workbench strings.
Bob Mitchell, who produces some great looking decoys, is in Asheville, a couple of hours away.
Brad Taylor is in Salisbury...I don't think Brad is a decoy carver but he builds some sweet duck boats, and getting a look at that sculler he refurbished last year would be worth the hour drive.
The great Ben Heinemann is in Durham...probably a little over 3 hours away.
Kroghie Andresen probably the foremost expert on North Carolina decoys lives in Charlotte. Kroghie has written a couple of books and has a website gunningbirds.com

Not to mention the honorable Tim Speight is from the area and will be back there in the near future. I see a layout crew coming together.

Kristan, I'm no carver, but here is some info about NC for you.

I grew up just across the Catawba River from Charlotte. Have lived in NC almost my whole life. (but for a few brief years in the 70s)

....the region is really nice for all kinds of outdoor activities. you can be at the beach in about 4-5 hours, either Myrtle Beach, Wilmington, or the Outer Banks...or go up on top of the mountains in 2 hours or less...be sure to check out Linville Gorge, Grandfather Mtn, Mount Mitchell, and of course the great smokey mountains National Park.

NC has a wonderful State Park system. South Mtns State Park and Stone Mountain State Park are two of my favorites.

You are close to several major lakes for fishing, or you can ride up in the mountains and find trout streams of all types.

I currently live in Greenville, NC; about 4 hrs east of Charlotte.

You should plan to visit Lake Mattamuskeet in the winter to see all the waterfowl. Come downeast and I'll take you to a top-rate BBQ restaurant, or if its fall, we'll eat some steamed oysters.

Good Luck on your new job, and Welcome to the Old North State!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqVuuC86EWw&index=6&list=PLOAYZYtmycSCAHVAcHem-Ns88f37hXf2H

North Carolina is rich in decoy history. The southern birds are gaining a lot of popularity in the auctions lately and have sold for good money. You'll find that there are a lot of good guys down there that carve. Check out Southern Decoy Collectors page on Facebook. Lots of southern birds and that's where the North Carolina boys congregate. Good luck.

Thanks for the response Kyle...It has been a blessed career opportunity to put me in various states in this great nation. Most of which have been favorable for waterfowl, fishing and other sporting game. I can still remember when in high school I thought the bottom land sloughs of Western Kentucky, Southern Illinois, North West Tennessee and South East Missouri was the extent of my waterfowl boundaries. I dreamed of all the places I used to see people growing-up around Paducah hunt with traveling north, south, east and west in this nation. Now with 20 years under my belt hunting the Boreal Forest regions of Manitoba, Central Michigan and all the way down to the winter spots of Texas and Louisiana with just about every state in-between I can only be thankful for all the memories, friends, and hunting opportunities along the way.
Actually on the note of the Huntsville area I looked and have had some opportunities to pursue a career in the region. The better half has decided otherwise.
Regards,
Kristan

I would like to thank everybody for the responses and all potential endeavors with the region have been noted. Once the wife and I are settled into the area I will begin my quest for new outdoor, carving, and hunting opportunities. Who am I kidding, I will probably be thinking this first and foremost.
Thanks Again, Look forward to new faces, new places and adding to the memories!
Kristan

Back