Near Tragedy on the PendOreille River -- Long read

Good stuff, Gary. Not much scares me more than the combination of ice and current. Since hunting without a dog no longer interests me, I rarely hunt the end of a season 'round here. River ice is just tooooo scary for my taste.

Oh, my. Gary, I'm glad it all worked out - it's hard to lose a dog, but it would have been harder for us to lose you!

Sean

Gary

On the drive to go hunting today we talked about your story and the decision to go after River. I put myself in that situation and think I would have belly crawled until I heard the ice cracking underneath me or I thought is was too thin. At that point my wife and three kids would enter my mind and I'd have to back off. There is just no easy answer and losing Cassie that wat is something I'd never get over. But I just don't know that I could risk it all.

Thanks for sharing that.

Eric

Gary,
Glad to hear you are both alright! I'll never forget my first layout hunts on the PendOreille. Another cold, icy hunt!
Good to hear are doing well!

Dan

I just read this story Gary, very sobering!

I've read stories like this in the past, most of them are because a guy puts his dog in that situation without thinking. This does not sound like one of those stories, dogs break and disobey commands, especially high drive dogs!

I'm glad you both got out and made it home safe.

Normally in our area at least for the last 4-5 years in my area once things freeze it's done, usually in one night. But if we get a slow freeze again where we can break ice, I will be carrying a long rope from now on!

Also, I'm thinking of training my dog to grab the rope. I bet a smart dog could be trained to grab and hold on if you can get it close to them.

Greg L
That day is still embedded in my brain as though it happened yesterday. I have been fortunate on many occasions over the years. I just pulled some handmade decoys out of the shed and was getting them ready to go hunting in the next few days. I have two Water spaniels and can't imagine life without them. River was a very special dog. I'm off to Fort Peck in Montana for a deer and antelope hunt on the 7th, and when I get back the northern birds will be arriving.

Gary March

Gary - we're not getting any younger. I had a couple of recent reminders of that at the Delta Marsh. Thank the good Lord for wisdom and protection... Pat

We had a dog go into a seizure in the middle of a long retrieve. we now have a neoprene life vest for the dog. Whats was interesting was that I think the dog likes wearing the life vest! I don't think the vest would hold her head up. Just hope it would buy some time until we reach her if it happens again.

Only down side is we no longer watch her dive under water. I can't remember where we found the life preserver but it has its place in my collection of gear.

I was remembering this story today and thought everyone could benefit from it. Those of us who have regularly hunted in the ice usually appreciate the dangers but a reminder never hurts.

Back