Nebraska species

Dani

Gold Sponsor
So, I'm heading out soon on my trip to pick up Reggie and I'm gonna head to Nebraska. I am thinking I'll throw my waders and a dozen or so decoys in the truck because ya never know. I might find a little pot hole with some ducks. What species of decoys should I consider? I won't be hunting any rivers and won't have a boat with me. I might still have some mallard decoys, definitely do have mottled duck decoys. Not a dozen though. But what other species should I consider?

Wigeon and gadwall and maybe ringneck, whatever you bring, bring hens. They are less specific looking and should fill the docket. I am excited to hear how things go with Reggie. I've never been to Nebraska, but my understanding is it can be quite cold and windy.

Have a safe trip and take a bunch of pictures so we can share in your adventure. You always have great write ups.

Dani,
I hunted Cheyenne Bottoms for a few years when my son and family lived near there. I'd take mallard, pintail, gadwall and greenwing teal decoys. First hunt I had was the day after a major flight and I was covered up in pintails. Finding water may be an issue though due to the recent drought. Check out the reservoirs. "Most" water was hard or at least firm bottom. Good luck.

Thanks y'all....I've gotta see what big ducks I do have. Most of the big duck decoys I used were Steves and I don't have the time to drive down and get some....and I can't recall what I do have, other than a few ugly plastic mallards, three nice plastic mottled ducks and a bunch of divers. I have gwt (lordy it would be fun to get into a good flight of teal again) decoys for sure. hmmmmm......

I'd just take your mallards, mottled ducks, and teal. And some ringers if you have them.
And get lots of photos for us living in duck desert.....

Back