Need some advice, new gun for 14 yr girl

I am getting Emily a new gun, and here is the problem

Emily is 14 years old, but not a very big girl................ ok she is small for here age of 14

I am looking for a gun that has the lease about of recoil for her.................... Do you guys have any ideas for me?

thank you for your help
MD

There have been a couple of threads on here about youth guns, so you could search that and see what the results were. Some of these were for young boys to grow into so they would translate to a small framed 14yo girl. I will be having the same problem in about 4 years since my daughter is below the curve on height still.

Any of the modern gas operated semi autos will be lite on the recoil. You just need to determine the amount of money you want to spend. Getting a wood stocked gun will be easier to custom fit to a small person. You could also look at 20 vs 12 to lesson the impact but that may not be a gun she grows into. Still good for smaller game though, and with premium nontox shot will do OK on decoyed ducks.

I won a Beratta pintail and I guess that one is not avalible any more so they are going to let me trade for equal or lesser value

right off the back they said how about a Franchi............... but I don't know anything about Franchi.

Eric found a 20 ga O/U that fit his little duckhunters. A Franchi 28ga auto would make a great lightweight gun but some big galoot said it kicked too hard....can't imagine that since my 28's feel like 410's even with super stout loads.

Mike,
John and I have put our 20 ga project on hold for a little while. Even with 3\4 oz slow reloads and a very padded stock he still did not like getting kicked by a shot gun. I think a 22 is fine but the memory is in there and he needs some time to grow a little more and work thru it. Every kid is different. At one shoot this summer I watched some small youngsters shoot 100 birds of trap with 12 ga. Go figure. We went thru some of the choices a few months back and the info might help. A search for youth shotgun should get it.
Remington has some light recoil 7\8 oz 20 ga. but I would try reloading if you can.
Good luck

if she hasnt used a gun before, start her with a .22 so she gets used to the noise,then whatever you use put a limbsaver type recoil pad on it, they work .

If she's ready for a shotgun, but hasn't fired one yet, take her to a range or dealer that will let her test one. If she's ready for a shotgun, take her to a professional and get her fitted. she's likely to outgrow it quickly.

this is all good info, I need to fill you in on more info

she has been going with me since she was 4, she is purity good on a duck call and can out call most of my friends (witch is not saying much LOL)

I started her out with a BB gun then a 22, and then a single shot 20

the gun is to big for her, and I won a gun that they don't make any more..................
so I am looking for some ideas on were to start, for a youth gun, so I don't end up with a gun that I am going to regret.

I am not familiar with anything other then a side by side, seeing thats all I have shot for 28 years

so any help would be grate and how do you guys fill about these gas guns?

Michael,

Keep that beretta pintail. If I remember correctly, it has the same inertia driven action as the benelli sbe, not a gas operated action.

A gas operated gun would shoot softer. A Winchester Super X2, or whatever they are called today (super x3?)is a good choice for low recoil. The action absorbs a fair amount of the felt recoil.

I find the inertia operated guns I've shot to to have more felt recoil. But on the flip side they are a lot easier to keep clean and working (no gas ports to clog up with powder residue).

Charlie

I have two beretta pintails, one in 20 and one in 12. The 20 is a sweet little gun, very little recoil if any. The first shot gun I have for my son is a stourger (ms) 410 sbs. At seven it's still a little much for him, but the price was right. But, that gun isn't going to kill any ducks. If your looking for a something to kill ducks, I would look at a youth 870. I ain't much of a Remington guy myself, but the gun is relible and the price is about as cheap as you get. I am also pretty sure the stock can be retro fitted to as she grows. If not, you don't have alot into it and can sell it and get your money back out of it.

It's not going to take out as much recoil as a auto but everything is a trade off.

my son just turned 9 last week and has been shooting a Berretta 391 20ga youth model for a year now. I cut it down and put a shorter stock on it and the recoil is very light. My wife has a Benelli Montfelltro 20ga inertia recoil and my son does not like that as much as his 391. I think there is a little bit of a diff between the two. Little Hank shot 5 ducks on his first duck hutn this fall and has shot 100's of rounds shooting trap, skeet and sporting clays. I highly recommend the 391. I know it is more money but you will be happy with the results. Best of luck and if you ahve any questions please shout. HHG

I sway anyone looking for a kid from the superx2 because of it's weight. I haven't weighed it but it's a heap of weight for a gun. I geuss that's what helps keep the muzzle down and recoil soft.

If you look at what kids are shooting in the youth trap leagues, the 391 dominates, because of its reliability and low recoil. So if you can afford it, go with that. Another advantage is that the stock is designed for custom fitting. Also, (if I remember correctly) the youth model has a 24" barrell, which is about the minimum you want to go for accuracy. Several companies make youth models with barrells shorter than that, and kids have a hard time hitting their targets. After all, you want her to be able to outshoot you, right?
Rick

I would recommend either a Remington 1100 youth 20 ga. or the Berretta youth 20 ga. I have friends who have started their kids out at 9 years old on these guns and have no problems. The guns are heavy enough that recoil is light but they are balanced well enough that the weight is not a problem. My daughter will be getting one in a couple of years. Take her to a gun store and let her handle one.

this is all good info, and thank you all very much, but by chance do any of you know how much the pintail went for bran new????? I figure once I know that then I will know that they are will to trade for.....

here is a pic. of my angel...........................

Dads thankgiving 009 low res.jpg
Dads thankgiving 014lowres.jpg

Rem makes a youth model 870 in 20GA, it was mine and my cousins first shotgun. We both got them when we where 13 or 14ish. Not sure if they still make them though.

just checked, they still have it listed on their website.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/youth/model_870_express.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
My son's first gun (at 13 years old) was the youth model 870 and it worked out fine for fit, reliability etc. In fact, when he grew out of it, I refit that gun with an adult stock/foreend in SP and fiber optic rib sights and its a great little short range deer gun shooting a 20 GA slug.

This question about youth guns comes up here from time to time and there is one thing that is not usually mentioned ... that little 20 GA pump gun shooting 3" duck loads, recoils as much or more than my 12GA 11-87 shooting 3" Win Supremes. It never seemed to bother my son but I can guarantee that it happens.

I know its a little more money but maybe the 1100 or a comparable semi, would have been a better choice. The gas autos use that energy to cycle and I really think its a little easier on a kid, especially the second shot.

As for the relative difference in price, the gun will always hold its value...or you can upgrade like we did or maybe, if and when the time comes, sell it to another family with a youngster coming up.

Just my 2 cents worth of past experience

Back