Need some help from the Bandsaw experts...

DeWayne Knight

I have the chance to buy this saw. It's a little ways away, so I don't want to waste a trip if it's junk. Anyone recognize it or who the manufacturer is?

Dewayne,

Can't tell you much from the pictures. I will say it appears to have commercial diameter wheels. You may be looking at a saw which may require either a commercial or custom blade length. That may or may not influence your decision.

Dewayne,

Don't know for sure. You might want to check a couple on-line suppliers and see if that is a stock blade for them.

Just talked to a local outfit that will make them custom for about $25.00 - $30.00 in that length. That seems reasonable to me.

I can't tell you much about the saw that has not already been said...

bandsaw blades however are easy to come by, my personal favorite blades due to their ability to stay sharp and cut like a hot knife in butter are the INDUSTRIAL SILICON blades on this site. I often run 1/4" 4 tpi hook pattern. You will be amazed at how they cut and how long they last. I use it for all my decoy needs. Often resawing ash boards with the same blade.

http://www.tufftooth.com/

Sometimes these old saws, if maintained are better quality than the new stuff. Most of all they were made in usa and use standard bearings fasteners etc. Ask the seller to demonstrate it. The blade length should never be an issue, since most competent saw sharpening services carry band saw blade material by the roll and make them up to length. Many times you will see a band saw for sale with a small welder built in just for this purpose. Rich

If the price is right I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over blade length... I"m sure an industrial supply shop could have them made for you or you could find a local tool & die or machine shop to make them to length... most die shops have blade welders for their saws...possibly , a local die shop will make one up for your particular saw for a nominal fee and a box of donuts...

Back