Need some help on decking a pontoon boat

william gaynor

Need to redeck my pontoon boat for the the thired time ( 1986 boat ). In the past I have carpeted the deck with indoor / outdoor carpeting. Looking for an alternative such as vinyle or epoxie coating. Carpeting allows a build up of moss. Never seems to dry out . ANY SUGGESTIONS ?

NOOOOOO!!!!

Certain PT is treated with metals, can/will eat the aluminum/steel.

Why not using something like the spray on bed liner stuff? not slippery and shouldn't allow water to seep down through to the decking beneath?

I,ve seen ads for coatings for salt treated decks that encapsulate the wood. I,m assumeing their epoxy based. On the salt treated plywood issue I believe the chemicals that were eating into aluminum have been removed, at least in structural lumber. Even a 2 part epoxy boat hull paint should provide long life without carpet covering.

Fiberglass reinforced polyurethane boards. Won't be cheap however. Personally, I would just take sheets of plywood and seal them with epoxy with sand tossed in for traction.

Mark

If you want a pontoon deck that you will never have to redo check into powder coating aluminum decking. It'll last a lifetime.
https://www.wahoodecks.com/learn-powder-coated-aluminum-for-decks/

Back