Need some new shoes for my dog!

Dave Church

My dog is getting older and he seems to have feet problems more often from running thru rough terrain. Anybody got any suggestions for a black lab? I've never put shoes or boots on him and I'm not even sure he will wear them. I tried to put a neoprene vest on him years ago and he would disappear for two minutes and come back without it......never could figure out how he could get out of it. Anyway, any suggestions would be great.

Dave

We use tire tubes for our dog JD, who also had the same problem, and found that these worked better than the actual dog shoes.

Here's a link similar to what we did for reference.

[/url]http://www.midwesthunt.com/upland/pheasant/richards2.html

One of my labs will get some raw spots on her feet on crusty snow and ice. I buy sled dog booties from Dogbooties.com. I also use them on her when running in sharp crop stubble. They are easy to put on the dog and she hunts day after day with no sore feet. I wasted a bunch of money trying other boots for dogs before I found these.

Mike, are you using the 1000 Denier booties and, if so, how long do they last before they wear out?

Dave

Years ago I bought dog sled boots for my mixed breed dog. They came with ones that weren't water proof that were fairly thick material but still very ply able. The others were thin tough material that were water proof. you could use both or just the water proof ones. They weren't shaped like a shoe just strait like tub socks. Slide them on and secure with velco. They worked very well. My dog never tried to take them off. They kept the snow from between his toes.

Tom

Mike, are you using the 1000 Denier booties and, if so, how long do they last before they wear out?

Dave

Dave,

I have used all the different denier booties. the thinner booties will wear holes in a couple hunts. The 1000 denier last quite a while. The velcro will get bad before the heavy denier booties wear out. I use the vel-stretch velcro fastener.

the tire tubes are open on the end so they do not capture water and drain completely when the dog comes out of the water. I changed the tape to vet wrap for the first layer to protect the dogs skin/fur and use electrical tape to hold the boots on. They do not seem to effect JD's movements as much as the manufactured boots and stay on much better.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm thinking I will go with the Denier and try it out. My biggest concern are some shoreline rocks that have barnacles that tend to get at his feet pretty good. Thanks again.

Dave

Back