Need to start over - recommendations sought

[quote Mark W]

-I need a boat with very low draft.
-I don't hunt big water anymore and I don't travel miles to get to hunting spots.
-I'm not going to be doing any log jumping nor do I think I will be going miles though muck and weeds.
-Mostly open water that is shallow.
-I don't need to go 30 mph.
-Most of my hunts (90%) are solo hunts. Once or twice a year I have a companion
-I no longer carry massive amounts of decoys.
-Weight is becoming an issue.
-12-14'
-Mud motor. Buy a kit and build one.
- possibly even fiberglass. Less weight is key.
-Stable. Very stable plan to shoot standing up.
-Will be towed by a trailer
- an open floor where I can mount chairs
-Enclosed storage would be very nice.
- a blind that pops up and down quickly. Has to act as a wind block.
-Want to be able to put in a Mr. Buddy heater to keep me warm.
-Blind has to be easily removed from the boat quickly to go fishing.
-something somehow that can cover the top so ducks can't see into the bottom of the boat when overhead.

-While money is always an issue, it isn't so much on this project. I want to make hunting more comfortable and easy while I have the time to do so.

Mark W[/quote]

Mark,
As I read through your list, I can't help but think that my duckboat pretty much checks all the boxes on everything you ask (and you're asking a lot [;)]).
So...have you considered trying to find a used TDB 14 Classic ??

Might not be the 'lightweight' that some of your comments indicate, but it's certainly no dreadnaught either, especially if your trailering ( Items I've highlighted)
Oftentimes, fluctuating water-levels in the sloughs I hunt will see me setting up in less than a foot of water, and often times its not the hard bottom you mention which would make it even easier for me.
As I get ready to start the season here in the Tri-State corner, my reality is that I'm 74, have a bad back due to disc compression, and am now 3 years removed from quad bypass heart surgery.
As long as I have a good ramps to launch at (which I do) - I can launch and winch to load back onto my trailer at the end of a hunt with little effort. I can motor and pole into some pretty skinny water in order to set up and hunt what the wind, weather, and water conditions give me. Sit comfortably in my folding blind chair, hidden completely within the pop up blind and roof that sets up in minutes and rolls down to stow when not in use and while trailering.(see picture #3). And I always stand to shoot.
Think about it.

Completely hidden in the blind and with excellent visibility

Drakeshoot104h.jpg

I'd say that water depth where I have the boat set in this picture was about 8"

CorkPinpreener 007.JPG

Blind folded down for transport:

IMGP7544.JPG

Again, access to and a set-up in some pretty shallow water:

IMGP7546.JPG

122403a.jpg

Last edited:
Mark, I have been thinking the same thing as you over the past several years. I want a single boat to hunt marshes, shallow gravel, sand, and mud rivers, and larger bodies of water by myself or with a partner.

Here is my take:

BOAT
  • 1448 jon boat is a good small, stable aluminum boat. Most of those have a HP rating of 25 HP or below. Gives you a stable shooting platform, can add a popup blind to sit on chair plus able to hunt a max of 3 people.

Using that type of boat, you can power it with 2 options for shallow water.

POWER OPTIONS
  • One option is what you suggested as in a Longtail Mud Motor in kit form. But for optimum performance for that size boat, you would probably want to go with a Harbor Freight Predator 22 HP 670cc engine and a swamp runner 100" shaft kit to fit that motor. This should push that boat and yourself at probably 20 mph+. Give you the ability to have some sort of decent speed and torque to move the boat around in shallow water and mud or if loaded with a partner or two.
  • Second option is getting a 25 HP outboard either 4 stroke or 2 stroke. A 2 stroke Yamaha would be the lightest option. But in order to do the shallow water scenario you would want to add a pocket tunnel to that jon boat. Then you can use a setback and hydraulic jack plate to be able to get that outboard up into the flow of the pocket tunnel to get into real skinny water. You will also want to add a low water pickup to the outboard setup to keep your cooling system flowing good.
Those are two options for a decent 1448 jon duck boat that would get you where you need in your situations.

Now here are the cons for those two setups.

Mud Motor
  • 22 HP longtail weight would be at least 180+ lbs. about 40+ lbs heavier than a 4-stroke outboard and a lot heavier than the 2-stroke.
  • Speed will be sacrificed the more weight you add in the boat because you never really get on plane for optimum performance.
  • Difficult handling in some situations and cannot turn on a dime like an outboard.
Outboard - if boat has pocket tunnel.
  • Will not handle mud if you are trying to slow get into places that is only a couple inches of water. Best to keep that boat on plane when going through skinny water.
  • working the hydraulic jack plate and outboard operation for skinny water can be a little challenging until you get used to it.
Only other option I would definitely add is Wetlander bottom coating. This will make it easy in mud situations where you need to push your boat around.

So that is my take to what I have been thinking about for years for my situations.

[quote Linhardt]Mark, I have been thinking the same thing as you over the past several years. I want a single boat to hunt marshes, shallow gravel, sand, and mud rivers, and larger bodies of water by myself or with a partner.

Here is my take:

BOAT
  • 1448 jon boat is a good small, stable aluminum boat. Most of those have a HP rating of 25 HP or below. Gives you a stable shooting platform, can add a popup blind to sit on chair plus able to hunt a max of 3 people.

Using that type of boat, you can power it with 2 options for shallow water.

POWER OPTIONS
  • One option is what you suggested as in a Longtail Mud Motor in kit form. But for optimum performance for that size boat, you would probably want to go with a Harbor Freight Predator 22 HP 670cc engine and a swamp runner 100" shaft kit to fit that motor. This should push that boat and yourself at probably 20 mph+. Give you the ability to have some sort of decent speed and torque to move the boat around in shallow water and mud or if loaded with a partner or two.
  • Second option is getting a 25 HP outboard either 4 stroke or 2 stroke. A 2 stroke Yamaha would be the lightest option. But in order to do the shallow water scenario you would want to add a pocket tunnel to that jon boat. Then you can use a setback and hydraulic jack plate to be able to get that outboard up into the flow of the pocket tunnel to get into real skinny water. You will also want to add a low water pickup to the outboard setup to keep your cooling system flowing good.
Those are two options for a decent 1448 jon duck boat that would get you where you need in your situations.

Now here are the cons for those two setups.

Mud Motor
  • 22 HP longtail weight would be at least 180+ lbs. about 40+ lbs heavier than a 4-stroke outboard and a lot heavier than the 2-stroke.
  • Speed will be sacrificed the more weight you add in the boat because you never really get on plane for optimum performance.
  • Difficult handling in some situations and cannot turn on a dime like an outboard.
Outboard - if boat has pocket tunnel.
  • Will not handle mud if you are trying to slow get into places that is only a couple inches of water. Best to keep that boat on plane when going through skinny water.
  • working the hydraulic jack plate and outboard operation for skinny water can be a little challenging until you get used to it.
Only other option I would definitely add is Wetlander bottom coating. This will make it easy in mud situations where you need to push your boat around.

So that is my take to what I have been thinking about for years for my situations.
[/quote]

Thanks for the input. I may be in a different spot than you. Already have a 14' boat that is just more than I need. I also have 2 other duckboats and access to one more. I've been thinking about going smaller for the past coupoe of years and this year it is time to make the change to something smaller. I just don't hunt how I used to and the boat is too big. It has worked well for 20 plus years I bet but it is just time.

I am going to have a project boat and see how it works this summer. If I like it, I'll keep it and sell the 14'. If I don't. I should be able to sell the project boat for what I have into it cash wise.

Mark W

[quote MLBob Furia][quote Mark W]

-I need a boat with very low draft.
-I don't hunt big water anymore and I don't travel miles to get to hunting spots.
-I'm not going to be doing any log jumping nor do I think I will be going miles though muck and weeds.
-Mostly open water that is shallow.
-I don't need to go 30 mph.
-Most of my hunts (90%) are solo hunts. Once or twice a year I have a companion
-I no longer carry massive amounts of decoys.
-Weight is becoming an issue.
-12-14'
-Mud motor. Buy a kit and build one.
- possibly even fiberglass. Less weight is key.
-Stable. Very stable plan to shoot standing up.
-Will be towed by a trailer
- an open floor where I can mount chairs
-Enclosed storage would be very nice.
- a blind that pops up and down quickly. Has to act as a wind block.
-Want to be able to put in a Mr. Buddy heater to keep me warm.
-Blind has to be easily removed from the boat quickly to go fishing.
-something somehow that can cover the top so ducks can't see into the bottom of the boat when overhead.

-While money is always an issue, it isn't so much on this project. I want to make hunting more comfortable and easy while I have the time to do so.

Mark W[/quote]

Mark,
As I read through your list, I can't help but think that my duckboat pretty much checks all the boxes on everything you ask (and you're asking a lot [;)]).
So...have you considered trying to find a used TDB 14 Classic ??

Might not be the 'lightweight' that some of your comments indicate, but it's certainly no dreadnaught either, especially if your trailering ( Items I've highlighted)
Oftentimes, fluctuating water-levels in the sloughs I hunt will see me setting up in less than a foot of water, and often times its not the hard bottom you mention which would make it even easier for me.
As I get ready to start the season here in the Tri-State corner, my reality is that I'm 74, have a bad back due to disc compression, and am now 3 years removed from quad bypass heart surgery.
As long as I have a good ramps to launch at (which I do) - I can launch and winch to load back onto my trailer at the end of a hunt with little effort. I can motor and pole into some pretty skinny water in order to set up and hunt what the wind, weather, and water conditions give me. Sit comfortably in my folding blind chair, hidden completely within the pop up blind and roof that sets up in minutes and rolls down to stow when not in use and while trailering.(see picture #3). And I always stand to shoot.
Think about it.

Completely hidden in the blind and with excellent visibility

I'd say that water depth where I have the boat set in this picture was about 8"

Blind folded down for transport:

Again, access to and a set-up in some pretty shallow water:

[/quote]

Never thought of this. Thank you for the input. I'll do some more research.

Mark W

I used a 15'4" Gheenoe HiSider with a 6.5 HP Go-Devil for several years until I acquired a 14' TDB Classic , which now has the Go-Devil.
The Gheenoe worked well in our club's marsh, though I never made a blind for it and hunted from the shoreline instead. With the TDB grassed up I can hunt from the boat.

Back