NorEaster: Hang on guys, winters back

The "first Killdeer of the year" I saw Monday morning will be feeding along the roadsides for a week or so.

All the best,

SJS

Steve, I have yet to see any by my house, but before this storm was getting regular reports of peenting woodcock on a local birding list-serve. I'm guessing they have to head back south to find food--and from Tod's report, it's a long way south before they can find bare ground to forage on.

We had Woodcock and Peepers in Feb! Two firsts.

The woodcock did not all head south. A friend just sent me a photo of one that flew into his picture window today after the storm and killed itself.

Probably a better fate than a lingering death from starvation.

Hope you guys are fairing well. Here in southeastern Michigan we just got 4-6" Monday. But last Wednesday we had tropical storm winds and our electrical utilities(my employer) lost 800k customers! Tonight was the first day home before 1130 pm since last Wednesday. Luckily I didn't lose power having stay at home wife and twin two year olds , but it's been tough working outside and I feel terrible for the people who lost it for so long.

The ground was so wet some poles just leaned over and didn't snap. And funny you mention killdeer. Was at a sub station early last week and saw quite a few.

Anyway stay safe. Enjoying a night with the family, probably back to 16's tomorrow

Tony

Got 26" at the airport, probably closer to 30 at my house. All thanks to Lake enhancement. All dug out now. Kids were excited to have a couple snow days. Back to reality tomorrow!!! It is putting a bit of a damper when it comes to flying my hawk. Hopefully it will warm up soon so we can get back out for rabbits and squirrels.

Back