October workbench thread

Thanks Tom. I guess I was getting a bit too dramatic, but I simply didn't want anyone to think I couldn't see the talent difference. I am proud of how these GW's turned out . I will be shooting teal over them.

Scott

Scott
I think you did a great job on them and I am sure they will get the job done. I shot a Greenwing on Wednesday with a band. Have not been able to report it with this goverment shut down.
Pete

I'm trying to set a record for how many times I can post the same bird in consecutive months!

He's finished except for a piece of driftwood and maybe a wash. This was a lot of fun to paint.

1379303_10202230867718003_497563533_n.jpg

Scott, I like that rig, will kill teal for Sure.

Dave, diggin the Heron, Very cool.

Here's a trio of Green-wings.

Its hunting season here and I did not think I would have any desire to carve or paint during season. But you keep seeing birds and inspiration is everywhere. I keep thinking about what decoys I wished I had and what I wished I had taken the time to carve before season started. Today it was raining all day and I decided after a little scouting trip to dig out the patterns and laid out a new rig of Ringers. I also have four Red Breasted Mergansers mixed in there as well. Those are the start of the next section of my Erie rig.

Before:

dy4etuza.jpg

After:

4apyzeja.jpg

Next time its raining and I am not hunting Ill be happy as can be sitting on the porch with the draw knife and spokeshaves!

This is my first wood duck. It kills me that it is for someone else. I am very happy with how it is turning out and have to thank Paul for the pattern and guidance with the paint. I still need to put a pad weight on it, give it a Gregory wash, and rig it.
101_7258_zpsbc8d291b.jpg

101_7260_zps7d04a443.jpg

Andrew~

I can understand why you'll hate to part with this bird. All the curves - shapes and paint - work together really well. And, I like that he paint on the sides is a nice subtle tone.

All the best,

SJS

Scott

Love the teal! Here's a pic of a third of my BSC project to make you feel better about yours:

null_zpsc8b81afc.jpg

Best
Chuck

I rushed these teal into service last season because my small spread lacked variety. At the time I didn't have any eyes for them so I just did without. Well, this season rolled around and I still hadn't added the eyes so I finally got them done last week, touched up the drakes and repainted the hens, much happier with the hens now!

Last year....

403437_10100364897055276_387971104_n.jpg

This year.....

1385718_10100702169348896_1037144796_n.jpg

Sweet bird Andrew! Nice mudhens Chuck! Great birds everybody! Get them out and get some mud on them! Pat

Last edited:
I am still trying to learn down here in Florida. We got our first cold front today it's 71 outside. A lot better than the 90's we have had for the last 4 months. Our hunting season is still a month away so I still have time to add some more blocks to my spread. This is my last try at a BWT. Any critiques are welcomed. I see new people join this forums daily with no comments. I see all the great work on this site and would like the opportunity to learn from these people and at the same time be involved. Thanks Jeff

Jeff, Having spent some time looking at your decoy there are a couple issues. There is that one spot next to the other spot that looks kinda......man that decoy looks fine just add some water. Just hope a gator decides not to make it a chew toy. Good Luck!!!!!

Jeffrey~

Except for that one really obvious spot that Phil points out....the bird looks great! Attitude is wonderful.

Since you asked for advice - Only thing I would suggest is to find a style for your gunners that could be more readily replicated - as if you had to paint 2 dozen drakes in a morning in the shop. It's a matter of suggesting the look of feather groups rather than reproducing them feather-by-feather. I like to use an Impressionist approach over most of the bird and save my steady hand for a few sweet details like the facial crescent on the Bluewing.

You are on the right track - and the fast track - at the same time.

BTW: Sure wish we had more Bluewings hereabouts.

All the best,

SJS

Back