ok long liners I need some help

My setup is like Chris's except I use a grapple anchor clipped on up wind and a sash weight on the down wind side. I keep my decoys clipped on and in bags just coiling the line in each pocket as I go. They will be in barrels or drums this year when I get my next boat finished. Just pull on main line from one end, decoys will follow. Clipped decoys make changing shot sinking decoys easier. I buy my droppers already made. John

I am impressed with all the long-line lore. When I started hunting Puget Sound the tides made it a necessity for a lone gunner. In the face of all the exprerience listed I'm almost afraid to tell how little money I had to spend.
After I lost my last sash weight I went to Number 5 coffee cans filled with cement. Eyebolt inserted. I used the cheapest manila rope I could find--right color, got waterlogged,stayed down. I got a good deal on horse harness rings and tied them along the mainline with a simple overhand knot. Couldn't afford snaps,so I went with four-inch dowels, drilled for duck line, slipped the dowel through the ring and that was that. Never lost one. If the line was so new it floated, I used steelhead pencil lead every so many feet to pull it down. Picking up sixty decoys in a wind at cross purposes with the tide was always interesting...but all I had to do was drag six lines in the boat in a pile and skedaddle. Easy to sort everything out in the garage and hang the rope to air dry in under a half hour.

I got a good deal on horse harness rings and tied them along the mainline with a simple overhand knot. Couldn't afford snaps,so I went with four-inch dowels, drilled for duck line, slipped the dowel through the ring and that was that. Never lost one.
Now that is neat/simple idea! Easy to work in gloves... won't scratch up the decoys in the bags... I bet some SS key rings in bulk would be just the ticket. A fid to open a hole in the line and run the rings to the mainline and there is no bulk and twist at the knot either.....

Back