On The Hunt For The 41- Success Here In NY

Anthony Babich

Gold Sponsor
Hey all, as the season comes to a close I now finally have some time to share some of the highlights This past month I had the pleasure of hosting a new found friend who reached out via Instagram, @Kicks_ChokeTubes funny how life works and as i can recall an earlier thread that mentioned the "Social Media" age of hunting. Joel a southerner from South Carolina media director & co-owner of Kicks Choke Tubes was on the chase for the 41! After years of accomplishments he wanted an Atlantic Brant to cross off species #40 on his list!

Joel, arrived to Long Island on the 13th of January with his pup Mate and we headed out on the saltmarsh in my newly refurbished 14' TDB SeaClass. The winds were steady 10-15 but the fog was immense, thankfully we did have a high tide that allowed us to get into a spot i had scouted the days prior. It wasn't long when our first flock of brant approached the rig Joel rang out his first shots with excitement and picked out a nice single for himself followed up by me and we had out limit by 8:00AM! Awesome experience for him and a nice retrieve by his pup. We stuck around till around noon to our reward of 2 black duck & a single goose!

The following day (Sunday) after enjoying some nice NY pizza and munching on our BEC (Bacon Egg & Cheese Bagel Sandwiches) LI is known for.. the fog had remained in the morning with a flood tide, with the TDB having a higher profile then our typical sneakboats I scouted out a location with some higher brush that i knew the brant would frequent in their flyway. Lucky for us upon our arrival the brant were in by the hundreds! We set up a rig of about 15-20 and were joined in by a friend with his Banks boat a 17' freedom that tucked along side us.

It again wasn't long until we came into some nice approaching flocks, one of which had a brant that seemed to be singled out among the flock, before i could realize a shot rang out on the final approach and Joel was able to bag himself a surprise of a lifetime a triple-banded brant! He was truly ecstatic and made it a lifetime memory. His second brant on the second day, what a way to end the trip!

Here's a video clip of the hunt! :
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2Feg5wLS82/?igsh=aGVlcmVicWkzd2Ju

It was a hunt he will never forget & I was glad to be apart of it!

Till next season!
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Last edited:
Ok lets get one thing out of the way first. You mean the BEC that NJ is known for, right?

I had to. Sorry lol.

That's a heck of a specimen to cross off the list. Very nice report. Enjoyed reading. It's a lot of fun watching people experience those birds for the first time. We definitely take them for granted here. Hopefully we can get back to a 2 bird limit sometime soon.

Great story Anthony! Many rewards to all involved on this outing. If you never experienced brant before, it is really a spectacle to watch them. I used to hunt brant when I hunted the coast more often, and I ate every one. Lettuce eating brant are good done in a pan with some seasoned flour. A triple band is really something, I didn't even know there was such a thing. Black ducks and brant are the classic fowl in Long Island and along the New Jersey coast. They have been written about since people started writing waterfowl hunting books here in the US, and for a good reason. And you got to take him and show him. Congrat's to both of you.

Jay K, you seem like a nice guy and everything, but being a resident most of the time in Jersey since I was 9, the Taylor Ham, Egg and Cheese on a Hard Roll is the classic Jersey breakfast sandwich.

Jay K, you seem like a nice guy and everything, but being a resident most of the time in Jersey since I was 9, the Taylor Ham, Egg and Cheese on a Hard Roll is the classic Jersey breakfast sandwich.
Greg, while you’re partially correct it’s really pork roll, not Taylor ham. Also now we have officially confused everyone that’s not from the Jersey area

Well, I can see you hail from the same region of the state as I do lol. Yes, I agree. TEC is the proper term.

Greg, while you’re partially correct it’s really pork roll, not Taylor ham. Also now we have officially confused everyone that’s not from the Jersey area

This is where I have to respectfully disagree as well. TEC, not PEC.

No we've really opened a can of worms here.

Ok lets get one thing out of the way first. You mean the BEC that NJ is known for, right?

I had to. Sorry lol.

That's a heck of a specimen to cross off the list. Very nice report. Enjoyed reading. It's a lot of fun watching people experience those birds for the first time. We definitely take them for granted here. Hopefully we can get back to a 2 bird limit sometime soon.
LMAO yeahhhh i got to admit you Jersey guys have some good BEC as well down there, but our bagels top the chart

Great story Anthony! Many rewards to all involved on this outing. If you never experienced brant before, it is really a spectacle to watch them. I used to hunt brant when I hunted the coast more often, and I ate every one. Lettuce eating brant are good done in a pan with some seasoned flour. A triple band is really something, I didn't even know there was such a thing. Black ducks and brant are the classic fowl in Long Island and along the New Jersey coast. They have been written about since people started writing waterfowl hunting books here in the US, and for a good reason. And you got to take him and show him. Congrat's to both of you.

Thanks Greg, yeah we are fortunate enough to have a wide variety of species up here, the triple band started off as an experiment looks like it's here to stay now some even have the GPS transmitters! Next on the list

Hey all, as the season comes to a close I now finally have some time to share some of the highlights This past month I had the pleasure of hosting a new found friend who reached out via Instagram, @Kicks_ChokeTubes funny how life works and as i can recall an earlier thread that mentioned the "Social Media" age of hunting. Joel a southerner from South Carolina media director & co-owner of Kicks Choke Tubes was on the chase for the 41! After years of accomplishments he wanted an Atlantic Brant to cross off species #40 on his list!

Joel, arrived to Long Island on the 13th of January with his pup Mate and we headed out on the saltmarsh in my newly refurbished 14' TDB SeaClass. The winds were steady 10-15 but the fog was immense, thankfully we did have a high tide that allowed us to get into a spot i had scouted the days prior. It wasn't long when our first flock of brant approached the rig Joel rang out his first shots with excitement and picked out a nice single for himself followed up by me and we had out limit by 8:00AM! Awesome experience for him and a nice retrieve by his pup. We stuck around till around noon to our reward of 2 black duck & a single goose!

The following day (Sunday) after enjoying some nice NY pizza and munching on our BEC (Bacon Egg & Cheese Bagel Sandwiches) LI is known for.. the fog had remained in the morning with a flood tide, with the TDB having a higher profile then our typical sneakboats I scouted out a location with some higher brush that i knew the brant would frequent in their flyway. Lucky for us upon our arrival the brant were in by the hundreds! We set up a rig of about 15-20 and were joined in by a friend with his Banks boat a 17' freedom that tucked along side us.

It again wasn't long until we came into some nice approaching flocks, one of which had a brant that seemed to be singled out among the flock, before i could realize a shot rang out on the final approach and Joel was able to bag himself a surprise of a lifetime a triple-banded brant! He was truly ecstatic and made it a lifetime memory. His second brant on the second day, what a way to end the trip!

Here's a video clip of the hunt! :
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2Feg5wLS82/?igsh=aGVlcmVicWkzd2Ju

It was a hunt he will never forget & I was glad to be apart of it!

Till next season!
View attachment 54158View attachment 54159View attachment 54160View attachment 54161
Good morning, Anthony~

Great stuff! That flood tide sure brings back many wonderful memories. Seeing the boat up against the "high-tide bush" (aka Marsh Elder, Groundselbush - Iva frutescens for the biologists here) tells me there was precious little "hide" anywhere on the bay.

All the best,

SJS

Good morning, Anthony~

Great stuff! That flood tide sure brings back many wonderful memories. Seeing the boat up against the "high-tide bush" (aka Marsh Elder, Groundselbush - Iva frutescens for the biologists here) tells me there was precious little "hide" anywhere on the bay.

All the best,

SJS
All~

CORRECTION: This old brain misremembered his saltmarsh botany (use it or lose it!). Marsh Elder and Groundselbush are the 2 shrubs flooded on especially high tides. I could not tell from your photos which it was. They often grow together. I'll have to find some next time I'm back on Great South Bay.

All the best!

SJS

Back