One of them days....

Kevin Puls

Day one on the Eastern shore of Va, and with mix results. Let's start with the positives.

1. I didn't miss a duck.

2. I finally got to shoot something over the decoys I laboriously made two years ago of the intended species.

3. I finally brought home birds in the newish boat and no longer am required to name the boat "sawbill"

4. The outboard that I had trouble starting recently starts now. It cost $441 for a tune up and other maintenance. Starts on the first pull.

No let's talk about the opportunities for improvement (I am not supposed to say negatives of f-ups anymore at work so I try to practice all the time)

1. My outboard that I spent $441 tuning up and correcting a starting problem won't idle. At all. It dies in seconds when starting and dies instantly when shifting, unless I keep it slightly throttled. Really annoying when you have to pull start every time you take the hand off the tiller.

2. My lab Lucy really doesn't care to go further than 20 yards out to retrieve a bird. My fault, bad training, but I have to run the boat to pick up every bird. See challenge # 1.

3. The rental house we are in reeks of mold. I have a sinus problem now.

4. My wind blocker flaps on my blind don't block wind, they flap in the wind, given off the impression that it is trying to take off to join the birds in the sky. It doesn't do it all the time, just when birds are nearby.

5. I forgot to flip the jiggy on the trailer crank, and let go and it spun at high speed dumping the boat back into the water after trying to load it dry (tide was out). My forearm stopped it. It is turning lots of pretty colors.

6. My puppy cut her foot on a mussel shell. We discovered it after she ran all around the house. And on the furniture. I didn't want that deposit back anyways.

But I am out and about, trying new spots and making the gun go bang. So I'll be up early again tomorrow to do it all over again!!!

Reminds me of the Duck's Unlimited book. Misery loves company. All the things that happen while duck hunting.
Every day is a new beginning!!! Have Fun

LOL...Thanks for reminding me. I need to take my Merc 15hp in for a tune up. Make sure you wear your life vest. Hang in there.

Zane

Kevin, I think you forgot:

#7 remember to bring camera

#8 aim higher when dispatching cripples over Bull the Traveling Decoy....

Sounds like a regular DIY waterfowl hunt away from home, 50/50. All part of the insanity we call waterfowl hunting.

Never Ever reach for a spinning crank handle to try to stop it. I've seen some doozy results.

Enjoy your trip and have a safe trip home.

4. My wind blocker flaps on my blind don't block wind, they flap in the wind, given off the impression that it is trying to take off to join the birds in the sky. It doesn't do it all the time, just when birds are nearby.

That's the one that got a belly laugh. Been there before. Hope it turns for you soon.

Hey if every duck boat motor ran like a top what would be the fun. Here's a few good ones......
Buddies 115 2stroke just won't give him power probably blown gasket. Gets new 4 stroke , it'll be safer, more reliable. We camp out every opener, more for the comradery and drinking ,errrr food. But any who, I have to come late in differ t boat. Go to tie off and all I can see above water is merc..... the shop that installed motor removed hose guides for a live well or something and the hulk filled with water and sank. Like two days after installation.

Same motor late season, doesn't like cold, but if you spin the flywheel by hand while turning she's starts. Seems like a bad idea to leave with it but you only die once(sarcasm we're dumb)

Then this season same boat. In canal temps are cold but there's moving water. It won't freeze, two days later skim ice. Oh well move to another friends dock. She won't start its 10 out. Two weeks later and running sump pumps we got her free and hunted again. Have the video of driving through 1.5" ice for 300 yards.

Sorry so long winded but "Misery loves company "

Anyway, if your motor idled fine what fun would that be. But maybe take it back to shop . Something carby is going on I'd guess.

Tony

It will go back to the shop, and hopefully they don't try to charge me. Idle was fine before I took it in. Doesn't do me any good this week, when we are out hunting out of state.

My buddy has a reliable boat and motor and we took it out today. Mixed bag again. I continue to be impressed with my own shooting, especially as sick as I am with some sort of sinus infection.

Saw thousand of birds this morning. All 1/4 mile away. My quest for a canvasback continues.

Back